Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Solved] How to clear just one mark?

[Solved] How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 5 months ago #78797

• seinecle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
Hi,
Thanks for creating this amazing product. First time on the forum here.
Question: Is there a shortcut to delete just the mark where the cursor currently stands? I find it annoying that I should delete all marks when just one needs to be deleted.
Thanks!
Clement
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by Site Admin.

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 5 months ago #78806

• jonathan.bondu
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
I don't see the need. lets say you marked with "i", and later on you placed the "o" mark and then change your mind. you'll have to do 2 actions :
park & delete your second mark
but you have to find a way to specify witch mark to delete.

In fact there's only one "o" mark and one "i" mark possible.

So you can achieve the same thing in doing park & remark (the "i" and "o" automatically delete the previous mark, and replace under your reading head)
that's not more actions, just a habit that you can quickly learn.

this method by the way gets rid of one problem, dosen't add a new shortcut/ function, and that way keep the software simple.

and this kind of choice seems to me to be the general thought behind lightworks coding.

the only situation where they would have a new function, is when it actually is quicker to use it than a "workaround".
HP elitebook 8570p : OS, Win7Pro ; CPU, i5-3360@2.8Ghz ; Ram, 8GB (2x4GB@1600Mhz) ; GPU, Intel Hd4000 ; SSD, 500GB Samsung evo 850 ;
Sony Nex EA50 ; Sony A7III

My Club (Fance)
CCOF : cameracluborsayfaculte.com/
My personal blog : imagesetidees.wordpress.com/

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 5 months ago #78818

• 2highlander
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
Not sure whether he`s speaking of Markin/-out or CUES ...
Asus X99 MoBo, 5820 Haswell 6 Core CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia GForce GTX 970, System SSD 250GB Samsung EVO, Cache & TEMP SSD 64GB Sandisk, Data 1TB Western Digital, Video Data 2x 2TB Western Digital as Raid0, Preview on Matrox MXO2 mini

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 5 months ago #78819

• seinecle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
Hi,
Thanks for your responses, I'll study the "mark and park" way.

To clarify, I use the "IN" and "OUT" buttons of the timeline to mark the place where I want to insert / replace a clip. Sometimes, I make a mistake for where to place the "OUT" mark. To delete it and create a new "OUT" mark at the proper position, I click on "clear" which deletes it but also my first mark (created with the "IN" button). My question is then, how can I delete just one mark and leave the other untouched.

I use "mark" in this post but it might not be the proper term (cue?). I talk about the signs in purple losange shape that appear on top of the timeline.

Thanks for your help.

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 5 months ago #78820

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 5 months ago
I'll study the "mark and park" way

Lightworks doesn't require two marks for anything; adding explicit in/out marks is handy if you need to temporarily review some other section of your clip without losing track of the marked region but otherwise it's unnecessary.

To delete it and create a new "OUT" mark at the proper position, I click on "clear"

If you do want to retain explicit in/out marks, the simplest scheme here would be to move the red time marker to the new desired mark location and re-add either an 'in' or an 'out' (ie. don't worry about trying to clear the old one first - just add a new one)
Lightworks Development

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 4 months ago #81304

• seinecle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Hi,
Sorry for the late response. What you mention (just re-adding an out without worrying about deleting the previous one) is just what I had missed. Thanks a ton!
Clement

Re: How to clear just one mark? 5 years, 4 months ago #81337

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
seinecle wrote:
What you mention (just re-adding an out without worrying about deleting the previous one) is just what I had missed.

What you also missed was the even more important part.

Great White wrote:
Lightworks doesn't require two marks for anything

To elaborate, it's rare in day-to-day editing on Lightworks that anything other than a single mark is necessary. Simply mark one end of the clip that you wish to insert with either the "I" or "O" key - it doesn't matter which - then park at the other end and press the "V" key to insert or the "B" key to overwrite your timeline. The process is fast, efficient and precise.

And of course if your source is marked-and-parked, you only need to park on your edit timeline - no mark there is necessary. In fact having a mark can actually cause confusion with zero-length edits and the like.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: [Solved] How to clear just one mark? 1 month ago #211728

• Dominick44
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
I too find this occasionally annoying. Having accidentally marked an in point, I just want to remove it without contrl-z, which sometimes undoes more than I want.
A simple "delete" leave a cut mark.
It was suggested to use "clear" - where exactly IS clear?
How can something so seemingly simple (undo an "in" cue) create so much discussion on "why would you want to do that?"
I am new to Lightorks and love the fast response interface, but am often frustrated. Perhaps I don't understand the evolution of its controls.
Anyway, if someone could answer this, simply and directly, it would surely appreciated by me and equal neophytes alike.
"From a distance, the Complex and the Random look the same"

Re: [Solved] How to clear just one mark? 1 month ago #211730

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
Press the "p" key and you'll remove any mark without adding a cut to your timeline. Using undo to remove a mark is a little like using a cannon to kill a fly. But there is one further thing to bear in mind.

Great White wrote:
the simplest scheme here would be ... don't worry about trying to clear the old one first - just add a new one

Doing that will automatically remove an old mark of the same type.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: [Solved] How to clear just one mark? 1 month ago #211734

• Dominick44
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thank you jwrl , for your quick and accurate wisdom
"From a distance, the Complex and the Random look the same"

Re: [Solved] How to clear just one mark? 1 month ago #211736

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
My pleasure.

The thing to remember about Lightworks is that it is professional software that has been in existence for thirty years. It was designed from the ground up to be as direct as possible for production editors to use. Any routine operation that requires any sort of stuffing around to achieve has usually been addressed long ago.

It's a pity that the console is so expensive. Apart from speeding up Lightworks' use, it has a labelled unmark button on it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top