Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7623

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I would have thought it to be the same as any other mark or cue. There are some keyframe commands down in Global that might be what we need.

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7740

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone!

Here are 3 more pages to download:

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The full document, with 11 pages now, can be downloaded at the first post of this thread.

Again:
If you already downloaded the first 8 pages document, you can join it with these 3 new pages using Open Source PDF Split and Merge
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7742

• lysvallee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thank you very much frandesouza and also SMPse, drkuli, Max Besser, shaunthesheep, pbhs, khaver, Oli, sterovetta, Greg_E et al. for the time you spent exploring zillions of features. Here’s another tip from the developers that can be quite helpful when working with structure:

FROM STORYBOARD TO TIMELINE
Make a bin and choose 'tiles' view; now you can arrange any number of clips within the bin (like a storyboard). Click the bin cogs icon and choose 'make edit', and Lightworks will make a new edit containing the clips from the bin in the order that you laid them out.

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7752

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
lysvallee wrote:
FROM STORYBOARD TO TIMELINE
Make a bin and choose 'tiles' view; now you can arrange any number of clips within the bin (like a storyboard). Click the bin cogs icon and choose 'make edit', and Lightworks will make a new edit containing the clips from the bin in the order that you laid them out.

I have suggested an "improvement" to this but most thought it was not important or too much like other editors and should be shunned. I wasn't aware of the ability to make a single menu choice to put all the clips into order in a timeline, my suggestion makes even more sense to me now.

One thing about story board mode, the thumbnail that you see is the frame where the play head is currently parked. make sure you use in and out points for each clip if you choose a different thumbnail for each clip.

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7774

• Romuald
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Very nice work, thanks you very much !

(Good for my students)

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7784

• tin2tin
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thanks!
Left right left right left right left
I love working for uncle Sam - I love working for uncle Sam
Let's me know iust who I am - let's me know just who I am

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7785

• lysvallee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
I have suggested an "improvement" to this but most thought it was not important or too much like other editors and should be shunned. I wasn't aware of the ability to make a single menu choice to put all the clips into order in a timeline, my suggestion makes even more sense to me now.

Hi Greg. If it were up to me, I’d rather see you devote your available time to having a generic MIDI controller communicate with Lightworks (huge improvement!). But if you provide the link to your storyboard suggestion and maybe explain further what is to be gained from it, then the other users might now see your point. With the thousands of posts in this forum, it’s challenging to keep track of everything, which is precisely why frandesouza is doing a great job with the PDF.

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7791

• Gigi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thank you very much for your "Hints and Tips-pdf"

I study Mediatechnics and writing my Bachelor Thesis about Lightworks.

There are some good tips for me wich i didn`t find in the official User Guide by Lightworks so i would like to quote some stuff of your pdf. Unfortunatly, you don`t have the author`s name (i think yourself,) and the publishing date in it. My professor said, if i wanna quote a document, i would need these two informations on the document. Could you please add them on your next version.
Would be great

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7796

• roel
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
This is what the world has been waiting for. Fantastic, thanks a lot. It's a great help to people such as me that are familiar with other editors. More of this and we will feel safe and happy in every respect with LW.
roel

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7799

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thanks for your comments!
I'm happy this document is being helpful, so I'm going to keep working on it.

@Gigi:
Well, if you mean the real author of the tips, it would be very hard to track back that information, because some tips were "born" from entire discussions between several members.

The only thing I can say is that there are only 3 places in the whole pdf in which I copied and pasted (and rearranged) the texts directly from the forum.

In the "deleting the black" tip, from here:
lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=4260&Itemid=269#4261

In the mouse wheel tips, from here:
lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=2431&Itemid=269#2431

In the Trim last out-trim in-trim out-trim next in tip, from here:
lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=2377&Itemid=269#2399

The rest I have written with my own words, and I did it working directly in Lightworks for this, I was not reading at the forum.
But you can bet that the forum members involved in the discussions that "delivered" most tips were SMPse, khaver, drkuli, Hammerhead, Cookiecutter, jwrl, Max Besser, shaunthesheep, daylife, etc. Well, and me too
Regards.
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7802

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
It would almost be better to quote "the forum members" @ here for the paper, or track down the individual posts and threads to use as your cited reference. Either way there may not be a definitive author for these references.

And for the future, I hope that anything I post that is of value will get rewritten in this guide, that way the information all has the same look and feel when someone is reading the document.

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7821

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I can't say often enough that this is an awesome effort! It all bodes well for the future of Lightworks!

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7935

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
@Forum Admin:
Thanks for your kind words! I never expected this pdf to be so popular!

I updated the whole document, and made a small correction on the "Moving video and audio tracks together" tip, because I forgot to include a little but important previous step in the original document.
There's also a slight change in the order of the pages (in fact, I only put one of the new pages at the first part of the new pdf), and now there is also a simple title page at the beginning.

If you don' t want to jump to the first post to download the new document, here it is:

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

As I said before, any suggestions and new tips are welcome!
Best Regards!

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7937

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Excellent, Fran, excellent!

Re: A "Hints and Tips" unofficial PDF in progress 6 years, 11 months ago #7938

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thank you very much, SMPse!
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds
Scroll To Top