Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brightness on a video

Brightness on a video 5 years, 2 months ago #72581

Just a quick question. I got lightworks recently and was just having issues finding where I can adjust the brightness of the video, but I couldn't find it. If anyone knows how to adjust the brightness please tell me Thank you for your time
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by TheTalkingMime1.

Re: Brightness on a video 5 years, 2 months ago #72588

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
You'll find brightness and contrast controls in the color correction effects.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Brightness on a video 5 years, 2 months ago #72589

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
If anyone knows how to adjust the brightness
This is via the effects panel - add a Colour Correction tool, or Colour correction (RGB) for finer control. You will want to explore the Gamma, Contrast, Brightness and Gain sliders, all of which which can be keyframed if you wish.

If your effects settings panel does not open automatically once the effect is added, Mouse Right Click on the FX section of your edit timeline and select Settings from the menu that appears.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Brightness on a video 5 years, 2 months ago #72649

Thank you guys for the help hopefully you didn't facepalm too hard

Re: Brightness on a video 1 year, 2 months ago #179342

• Arvidovic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
...Gamma, Contrast, Brightness and Gain sliders, all of which which can be keyframed if you wish. ...

Sorry but I can't find it elsewhere. Or should I post a new topic?
How does that keyframing work for just a short piece of the sequence? It doesn't seem to work between marks, the effect starts from after the fade-in (done with reversed dissolve).
The piece needs to be brightened/gained frame by frame because the camera darkened too much because it was pointed to the sky. (And then back again.)
Lenovo IdeaPad G500, i5-3230M 2.6-3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, Radeon HD8750M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Win7 64bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by Arvidovic.

Re: Brightness on a video 1 year, 2 months ago #179344

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
That sounds like a piece of footage uncorreptable in post which better should be cut out instead of trying to correct.

If you wish trying nevertheless, I'd suggest separating the section to be corrected with an empty cut, applying colour correction with keyframes first, when finished use the transition.

You'll find details about keyframes in chapter "Keyframes" of current V14 User Guide starting on page 180.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Brightness on a video 1 year, 2 months ago #179350

• Arvidovic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Can't be cut out, most important part of the video, following balloons By the way I didn't film it, otherwise i'd change it during filming.
Thanks, under Chapter 10 that is. Didn't fully work it out yet though, but prob will.
Lenovo IdeaPad G500, i5-3230M 2.6-3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3, Radeon HD8750M, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Win7 64bit

Re: Brightness on a video 1 year, 2 months ago #179388

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Use colour correction, and play up to the point at which you wish to begin correction, then click on the stopwatch icon beside the word "Gamma". Immediately click on the "+" icon under the word "Keyframes". Now play forward until you have found the point where the exposure stops changing and adjust the gamma for the best exposure. You will probably also need to adjust the saturation, but for the moment let that be.

When you play on from this point the gamma will slowly drop back to where you started. To fix that, move to the point where the camera exposure starts to change again and drag the gamma up to correct it as before. Find the point where the exposure returns to normal, and click on the gamma line but not on the gamma control - the line and not the large dot. This will return your gamma to normal.

Now to correct the saturation during these changes, click on the saturation stop watch. Jump to each keyframe and adjust the saturation. Done.

Finally, to finesse things a little, select the "Graphs" tab. On each of the ramps between the steady effect levels, Ctrl-click. This will change the linear ramps into curves that ease in and out of the changes.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top