Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [Solved] How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another

[Solved] How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 4 years, 8 months ago #64407

• idealsceneprod
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
I'm cutting Scene 89 of my feature, Amnesia, and I've searched the forums and the User Guide for this information, but the new user guide has precious little on effects (less than v11) and I've come up empty, other than to save settings as a template.

While saving a template is a workaround for this scene, I don't want to end up with several templates per scene - I'm mostly just using a Curves effect but on a dialogue scene that's one per side for a bunch of clips, and having to manually guess how to make all the settings the same is a bit beyond my capabilities

Anybody got a better way? In Premiere I could just select the effect, copy it with CTRL-C and then paste on the next clip with CTRL-V... easy. Same settings every time, and then I could fine-tune for the clip if needed.

Thanks a lot
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
www.AmnesiaTheMovie.com
www.IdealSceneProductions.com
www.TXSTARentertainment.com
www.ValGameiro.com

Lightworks 12.6 64-bit / Latest 64-bit Beta

Dell Precision M6600, QuadCore i7, 8GB RAM, internal SSD drive (+ external USB3 7200rpm drives), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Canon 7D, the dreamy BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera, and gunning for the Sony A7S!
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by Site Admin.

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 4 years, 8 months ago #64421

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 8 months ago
If the effect is folded in, hold down Alt and click and drag from one clip to another clip on the timeline. If the effect is in an FX track, you can copy by holding down Ctrl and dragging.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 4 years, 7 months ago #64658

• idealsceneprod
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 years, 7 months ago
That worked like a charm.
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
www.AmnesiaTheMovie.com
www.IdealSceneProductions.com
www.TXSTARentertainment.com
www.ValGameiro.com

Lightworks 12.6 64-bit / Latest 64-bit Beta

Dell Precision M6600, QuadCore i7, 8GB RAM, internal SSD drive (+ external USB3 7200rpm drives), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Canon 7D, the dreamy BlackMagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera, and gunning for the Sony A7S!

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85644

• tedbar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
Is this for Windows systems? Under Linux clicking Alt and dragging moves Lightworks around the screen as with other applications. That is using the left mouse button. Using the right mouse button together with Alt resizes the application window under Linux.

I am aware that key combinations vary between the OS's is there a handy listing anywhere of the key/mouse combinations, ideally for all OSes so that te helpful advice given on the forum can be easily translated?

Thanks in advance.

Ted
Opensuse Leap 42.2 x86 64 bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 4790K @ 4GHz
GeForce GTX 970
Native driver 375.39
16GB memory

Lightworks 14

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85670

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
There is: every Lightworks has it. You get there by opening your system settings and then the keyboard assignments panel. From that you can create a dump of all the active key assignments.

By scrolling through the keyboard assignments panel itself you can also find all the console actions as well, if you have one. The mouse combinations aren't listed there, but there are so few mouse combinations native to Lightworks anyway that a quick check of the manual should be all that you need for those.

However if anyone feels the need, why not start to build a PDF yourself and post it here? Others might find it helpful.

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85673

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
I can't say for sure but I highly doubt that key combination is Windows-specific. It would seem that the issue is more related to Linux already it.

For the time being, there are two workarounds. One: If the effect is Folded, right-click on the clip that has the applied effect and select Unfold. This will place the effect on a separate FX track. Now, hold down Ctrl and drag the effect to a clip you want to apply it to. Repeat if necessary. Two: Change the Alt + drag functionality in Linux.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85691

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
---or if you can spare a milli-second or two you could make a template of your effect package, then apply it via normal 'Apply to' options/rules wherever it suits.

Please see the attached
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85698

• tedbar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
Many thanks for the very rapid responses

I'll spend some time with the key/mouse combinations but I can confirm that the combinations are different on a mac from Linux. For example copying the effect on an FX track uses Alt RMB on Mac and Ctl RMB on Linux.

On Linux Alt RMB moves the window, on Mac Ctl RMB moves the window.

Excuse what is probably a real beginners question (but I am pretty new to this). I borrowed a Windows machine and tried the Ctrl RMB to copy an unfolded effect. Is the way to do it to press Ctrl, right click on the small effect square and then to drag? Doing so un-joins the clip for me.
GeForce GTX 970
Native driver 375.39
16GB memory

Lightworks 14

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85706

• tedbar
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
I have found a number of the answers. For the record and to help newbies like me.

Firstly to copy the effect the cursor must be in the clip and display a double sided arrow and not on the effect square. When over the square it changes to a symbol indicating that the clip will be unjoined.

Secondly under Linux it is necessary to use Shift Alt LMB. This appears to be common to key mouse combinations that use Alt. Above I used RMB incorrectly - should be LMB.

Thirdly under Linux on the FX track both Ctl LMB and Shift Alt LMB work. For folded effect only Shift Alt works.

Under Mac Alt LMB works both on the FX track and the folded track.

Hope this helps.
GeForce GTX 970
Native driver 375.39
16GB memory

Lightworks 14

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 3 years, 9 months ago #85749

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 9 months ago
I thought I read about the addition of "Shift" being a solution but didn't mention it because I thought I was crazy. Sorry about that. Nonetheless, I'm glad you got it all worked out.

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 1 year, 7 months ago #140118

• invincibile
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 7 months ago
Great it's so simple sometimes

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 9 months, 2 weeks ago #165553

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Many Linux desktop environments use Alt+MousMove to move a window. In the KDE environment, you can adjust this and set it from Alt to Meta, which is essentially the "left Windows key" which makes more sense since you don't use it anyways for other things on Linux.

Alt+LMB then works, since it is not caught by the system before Lightworks can notice it.
kxStudio/Ubuntu Linux user, audio guy doing live mixdown and recording, long-time Ardour user. Now getting into video with LWKS.

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 9 months, 2 weeks ago #165561

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Wow. That's what I need. For Gnome 3 you can change this using gnome-tweak-tool (Windows->Window Action Key->Super).

Restored accidentally deleted post - jwrl.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 9 months, 2 weeks ago #165562

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
I've deleted my previous comment accidentally...
For Gnome 3 use gnome-tweak-tool (Windows->Window Action Key->Super).

But BTW I have another question... Alt+LMB copies (adds) FXs to the target clip. Is there a possibility to replace them in a similar way? That would be great.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: How do you copy the effects settings from one clip to another 9 months, 2 weeks ago #165576

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
gr00by, I know in the effects panel you can LMB drag an effect from the “+” tab into the routing tab then RMB click on an existing effect to replace it. Maybe this action will work on clips in the timeline too.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top