Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it

I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it 4 years, 2 months ago #64223

• mikedesat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
I was editing a video and I accidently hit "Pop out title", now my project is totally gone and I cant find it anywhere, I just spent 10 hours on it and it seems like its totally gone now.

is there anyway to get it back? is it still there and im just missing something?
Last Edit: 4 years, 1 month ago by Cookiecutter.
The topic has been locked.

I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it 4 years, 2 months ago #64226

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
Welcome to the forum,

You should run a search for your edit. This can be found on the tool bar on the LHS.

It's a good idea to set up a permanent rack and bin when you start a new project, so that lightworks has somewhere to put your material.

Details can be found in the User Guide and there are video tutorials to assist you.

I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it 4 years, 2 months ago #64282

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This screenshot shows the location of the "Pop out tile" button.

This screenshot shows the Edit as a minimised Pop out tile. The Viewer and timeline are now empty.

When you click on the "Pop out tile" button, it simply changes your Edit viewer and timeline into a minimised, non-writeable (i.e. non-editable) thumbnail image or "tile" view of your your Edit footage. This small, minimised thumbnail view is a convenient way of storing your edit in a bin. The viewer and timeline are emptied of your footage but it remains in the thumbnail tile in a minimised (hidden) form.

In this screenshot the Pop out tile is now stored in a bin.

This thumbnail tile can be changed back into a "maximised" editable viewer and timeline very easily. Click on the small "Viewer" and "Show timeline" icons that appear when you mouse over the thumbnail. To make the timeline writeable (i.e. editable) again, click on the Record button at the bottom right of the Viewer and the borders around the viewer and timeline should turn from blue to red.

In this screenshot, the mouse clicks on the thumbnail Viewer icon and the footage appears in a new viewer.

in this screenshot, the mouse clicks on the thumbnail "Show timeline" icon and the footage appears in a new timeline.

What many Lightworks users do is periodically make a copy of their edit and store it in a permanent bin with the date and time at the beginning of the name of the edit so they appear in chronological order. Then if your subsequent edit becomes a mess, you can begin again by maximising your last stored edit.

An alternative to "Pop out tile" is to make a copy of the Edit. Click on the "Make Copy" icon (right hand side of Edit Viewer, 4th button from the top). This creates a thumbnail (tile) copy of the Edit which can be stored in a permanent bin AND it also leaves your existing footage in the viewer and timeline.

And again to turn the minimised thumbnail back into a maximised timeline and viewer, click on the small "Viewer" and "Show timeline" icons that appear when you mouse over the thumbnail. To make the timeline writeable (i.e. editable), click on the Record button at the bottom right of the Viewer and the borders around the viewer and timeline should turn from blue to red.

It is impossible to accidentally lose an edit in Lightworks.

If you accidentally close the Edit viewer, it is not deleted. it is just hidden. To get it back, do as briandrys says.

Click on the Search Tool in the Toolbar at the left of the screen, select "edits" (a green button should be on next to where it says "Edits"), leave the search text box empty and this will bring up all your edits in a temporary bin with the blue bin title named "(edits)". Rename the bin (just click on the title and type in a new name) to some other title which should then be green indicating that it is now a permanent bin.

The only way to really "lose" an edit is to right click on the Edit Viewer and select "Destroy edit". You are presented with a warning before the destruction is implemented. The only way then to get it--or at least some of it--back is if you have recently archived the project. Frequent archiving of the project is essential.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 4 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it 4 years, 2 months ago #64284

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 2 months ago
Since this is such a common question from new users, perhaps there could be a sticky on finding lost edits etc and setting up a project so that they won't lose them.

Re: I have closed my edit and now I cannot find it 4 years, 1 month ago #66321

• lotg
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
You can search for Edits by pressing F3 or by clicking on the folder thumbnail two pictures under the thumbnail for a new edit

greetings
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.67 seconds
Scroll To Top