Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Create a slide show?

Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6145

• gkastigar
Is there a way to take an image like a jpeg photograph and expand it from one frame to an allotted amount of time that can be used as a slide in a project? Trying to do a little documentary and was wondering if this was possible instead of shooting the image on video.

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6149

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 4 months ago
The easiest way, if you don't need any panning or zooming on the photos, is to import the photos using the import tool in the project. This will format the photo to your project. You will then need to add black into your edit. Right click the "new edit" tool and select "Create video black (5 mins)". Add this to your edit (you can add more or delete what you don't need later). Now open the first photo into a viewer and mark and park the beginning and end (actually just 1 frame). Go to your edit and mark and park a selection the length of time you want the photo to play and hit "Alt+V". This will add the photo to the edit, filling the amount you selected. Do this with the rest of your photos.

If you want to pan and zoom on the photo, you will first need to add some real video to your edit. I created 5 minutes of black video using avisynth and virtualdub but actually any video that works in your project can be used because it will be covered by the photo anyway. Add the black or other video to your edit and mark and park the video for your first photo. Now hit the effects button on the edit's stipview. In the effects panel select "Mattes" and add the "Image" matte. In the configuration panel select the photo file. Now you can pan and zoom in the photo using key frames.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6150

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 4 months ago
For zooming and panning you can also add a DVE effect directly to the picture track without the need of adding a video track first

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6151

• gkastigar
gkastigar wrote:
Is there a way to take an image like a jpeg photograph and expand it from one frame to an allotted amount of time that can be used as a slide in a project? Trying to do a little documentary and was wondering if this was possible instead of shooting the image on video.

Excellent, I will give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!!

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6152

• gkastigar
frandesouza wrote:
For zooming and panning you can also add a DVE effect directly to the picture track without the need of adding a video track first

Really? I'll look at that too. Thank you!

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6153

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 4 months ago
When you use the DVE, aren't you zooming into the "resized to fit the project" photo? If that's the case, you can't zoom in too much or you'll start to see the pixels. Using an image matte lets you zoom and pan on the full res photo. The only problem is the panning and zooming isn't quite as accurate as the DVE.

Try both to see which one works the best for you.
Last Edit: 10 years, 4 months ago by khaver.

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 4 months ago #6154

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 4 months ago
You' re right about that, it is not for abuse if you zoom in with a DVE instead of an image matte, but there is a safe margin to do that, I think.
It is a matter of see where it's worth using one or the other, as the target you want to achieve, I just wanted to mention that you can do it with a DVE

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 3 months ago #7385

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 3 months ago
UPDATE (OR SO):

Maybe it's already known, but as I don't remember have read about it on the forum, I think it is worth to post this that I discovered by chance, playing around with some things:
If you already have footage in your stripview, and want to add pictures to be panned and zoomed, there's no need to add real black video (or any video) in which to apply the image matte effect. You can apply the effect directly on the stripview black video (or create some if you don't have it, with the "create video black" function).

Mark and park a black section of the stripview and just go to Effects..Video : Mattes Image:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Visually not very attractive, but it works. (Sorry if I posted an obvious thing)

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 2 months ago #8459

• Moondog
khaver wrote:
The easiest way, if you don't need any panning or zooming on the photos, is to import the photos using the import tool in the project. This will format the photo to your project. You will then need to add black into your edit. Right click the "new edit" tool and select "Create video black (5 mins)". Add this to your edit (you can add more or delete what you don't need later). Now open the first photo into a viewer and mark and park the beginning and end (actually just 1 frame). Go to your edit and mark and park a selection the length of time you want the photo to play and hit "Alt+V". This will add the photo to the edit, filling the amount you selected. Do this with the rest of your photos.

Thanks for this example. but I am not sure how to "mark and park "..please help

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 2 months ago #8466

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
  • 10 years, 2 months ago
Mark'n'Park is the Lightworks' way of selecting regions inside of clips and sequences. Move the playhead to your desired in-point and hit In on the onscreen console (alternatively hit the key you assigned In or Mark to). Then move and park the playhead to your out-point. Presto, you just marked'n'parked.
Alternatively you can add another mark to the out-point, but that would be the way of the competition.

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 2 months ago #8476

• Moondog
Thanks..great help

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 1 month ago #10187

• Fuchtel
When I have importet a picture over Effekts / Mattes / Image I can only set the Position, Scale and Crop of this picture.

But how can i define such a part and moove it over the picture (in a predefined route) during the time of my Image in the stripview?

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 1 month ago #10204

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 years, 1 month ago
Fuchtel wrote:
When I have importet a picture over Effekts / Mattes / Image I can only set the Position, Scale and Crop of this picture.

But how can i define such a part and moove it over the picture (in a predefined route) during the time of my Image in the stripview?

Turn on keyframes for the position sliders (the little buttons next to the sliders). You can then create keyframes for movement.

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 1 month ago #10205

• pbhs
Last Edit: 10 years, 1 month ago by . Reason: better explain

Re: Create a slide show? 10 years, 1 month ago #10259

• Fuchtel
Thanks a lot!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top