Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Register Lightworks' Directshow codecs so media players can play exported video

Register Lightworks' Directshow codecs so media players can play exported video 5 years, 1 month ago #55211

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
Lightworks comes with a slew of Directshow encoders and decoders, but they are not registered with the OS by the installer. The reason they are not registered is because they may conflict with codecs already registered by other applications. Lightworks loads the codecs directly when importing and exporting.

If you don't have other applications that have registered Directshow codecs that could conflict you can register the Lightworks installed ones so some players can use them.

CAUTION: It's possible this could mess up other video applications you have installed so take this as a warning, and I'm not responsible if it does. I also don't know if this is allowed by the MainConcept end user license that Lightworks is using, so if not, the forum admins can rap my knuckles with a ruler and delete this post.

If you're on XP in an administrator account you can go directly to a command line prompt and navigate to the Lightworks intallation folder in the "Program Files" directory. If you are on Vista or above you will need to run an elevated command prompt (run cmd.exe "as administrator").

Once you're in the Lightworks folder, type the command:
for %i in ("*.ax") do regsvr32.exe /s %i

If you are using the 32bit and 64bit versions of Lightworks you can register both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the codecs. Just navigate to the two installation folders (32bit: "Program Files (x86)\Lightworks" 64bit: "Program Files\Lightworks") and run the above command line in each folder.

If you've ever used Graphedit you can now use these codecs in it to play and transcode from and to these various video formats.

If you want to unregister them use the command:
for %i in ("*.ax") do regsvr32 /s /u %i

If you do unregister them you will need to re-install Lightworks because there are 2 that the installer does register.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 5 years, 1 month ago by khaver.

Re: problem while editing for video song 2 years, 5 months ago #116718

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 5 months ago
Hello khaver,

I saw that Lightworks delivered it's own DirectShow filters in the past, but I didn't find any with 12.6, instead a file named DirectShow.dll in the installation directory. I assumed that DirectShow might be supported.

I made a few tests with SD footage with codecs which seem to use DirectShow in Lightworks (XviD, DivX, VC-1 ) with no really editable result and some crashes.

Is there any new special approach to that?

I use K-Lite codec pack on Windows7 with standard setting and no tweaks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top