Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: REMASTERING OLD VHS

REMASTERING OLD VHS 6 years, 11 months ago #45257

• Devine1
  • Gold Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi all

I'm looking at converting my old VHS tapes to DVD or perhaps Bluray. For the most part I'm pretty confident I can do it and use LW to edit parts I don't like or language I want to "beep" over. What I'd some input on is remastering & improving image quality. I think LW has some noise reduction and color correction tools. Would these help in the process? Is there anything else I should be looking at or thinking about? Any advice on remastering is welcome.

Re: REMASTERING OLD VHS 6 years, 11 months ago #45262

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi Devine1

I recently had some analogue Betacam SP footage to clean up. I used NEATVIDEO for the most part to reduce the noise and the results are amazing. The software costs $100 Australian dollars and I think well worth the money. I was inspired to have a look at some 1950's footage including Kinescope recordings I have and I have to say it is extraordinary what you can do with this software.

It is particularly good resolving issues where poor or low lighting conditions occur and well you know what that does to video, (mainly noise) but you do have to be careful with the adjustments you make or people can end up looking a bit plastic.

NEATVIDEO works as a plugin to Virtual Dub (32bit)and also Edius Pro 6.5 so it will install into either application. You must stipulate on the Website which version you want as there are different installers depending on which version you opt for. You can download a free trial version, with the caveat that the demo version puts a NEATVIDEO watermark on the output, is time limited on processing files and it is resolution limited until you licence it. The licensed version gives you all resolutions up to HD 1920x1080

Vlad at Neatvideo is very responsive to enquiries and something I don't normally do, but in this case, the software is just amazing.

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by ABCRONNIE.

Re: REMASTERING OLD VHS 6 years, 11 months ago #45459

• Devine1
  • Gold Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Thanks so much Ronnie.

I'll have a look at that.

Re: REMASTERING OLD VHS 6 years, 11 months ago #45465

• erikvandebelt
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
There are DVD recorders with built in VHS.
You can make a copy from VHS to DVD direct.

Erik
Rotterdam
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz,
Mem. 24.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000,
WIN. 7 64, Lightwork Pro Licence, LW Keyboard, Console, Mackie. MATROX MXO2 LE.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top