Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43589

• fischerb
Hillnhutter wrote:
I used Sync Groups, and realized that all the previews are running when I start one video.

press the gear-button on the sync group and you will find an option to disable the live playback of all sources (i don't have lightworks running on this machine, so i can not quote the exact naming of the menu)

Hillnhutter wrote:
Accepting performace limitations might be ok when it results in waiting for the computer to finish a command, but when the video playback just stops while the time line runs, I just can't see what I need to see

if you have not enough computing power for the choosen amount of synced sources you will see very annoying errors -- the video display will stop at all, audio will get out of sync, GUI control will react very slow...

lightworks can be very efficient, if you find the right way to prepare your material (transcoding to mpeg2 i-frame could help a lot!) and use the right strategy to work on it, but that's not always straight forward...

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43590

• Hillnhutter
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years ago
I experienced all the problems you described! I can try to transcode to mpeg2. I assume the file size will not increase by 10 times as it did with my last transcoding trial.

I'll find out how I best can proceede with my work, I got good advice, thank you all!

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43594

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
yes -- you are right! -- sometimes lightworks looks really old fashioned and not very open minded concerning much newer innovative technology

I note your new-technology quirky face I guess signifying a bit of sarcasm or the like. In old fashioned unambiguously sarcasicc words of course my point was and is that LW has been well ahead of the pack and remains just so. That to me is the essence of innovation.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43601

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
If you are not needing high quality editing features, you can synchronize and combine any or all of the source videos into a single video in ffmpeg. You could learn to do that in less time than it takes to transcode one clip for editing.

I also saw a step-by-step video tutorial of making a custom video mixer with PureData.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43613

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
...sometimes lightworks looks really old fashioned and not very open minded concerning much newer innovative technology

I must comment that as well

IMHO the Lightworks user interface is not at all old-fashioned. It just does not comply with that silly clicky-mousy kiddish style many other applications do.

I also think that in a serious and professional application as Lightworks definitely is, one has to go into it. Then one will notice that every action defined for an individual function has been carefully chosen, to get the most efficient workflow for serious video editing.

Pressing keys will always be much more efficient than pushing a 'mouse' around, while the latter was always a crutch since Apple invented it, to also get users into the business who were scared from usual computer operation.

So I really hope that the Lightworks UI will always stay more or less the same, without any pointless attempts to be uniform with Windows, Mac or whatsoever, because such an attempt would lead to changes all the time.
I just say Windows 8 metro style ... for play-kids OK, but not for adult power users.

On a sidenote, I also would not accept flying an Airbus with a sidestick, or driving a car without steering wheel

But well, maybe the previous statement was meant regarding the feature set, and not that much the actual operations.
Anyway, at last I had the chance to say what I think about the UI
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 6 years ago by timzett.

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43636

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
[quote="timzett" post=43613]
Pressing keys will always be much more efficient than pushing a 'mouse' around, while the latter was always a crutch since Apple invented it, to also get users into the business who were scared from usual computer operation.

Just to say that Apple only came up with a cheap version, the mouse and many other computer items were thought up by Xerox, the photocopy people.

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43641

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Since we are on the topic of UI functions... I guarantee that with the touch functions in Windows 8 that this will change the way we edit. It is finally making drag and drop a reality and should bring some logical motion based functions into editing that will make the job far easier than using a keyboard. This needs a lot of study to get it right, and I hope they are working on it right now. The biggest impediments are the way touch is used in the "desktop" applications and the lack of large high resolution monitors. Going to the formerly named Metro applications solves part of the issue, and we need to wait for a good selection of multi-touch monitors to arrive. Trust me when I say this will shape the way we do things for the future. Adobe is already building in touch to many of the applications in the Production Suite, who will be next to follow?

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43646

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
I hate touch screens. Can you imaging trying to use AutoCAD with a touch screen. How do you select a small object among a cluster of objects with your fat finger. Then there's the problem of smudges. Working with medical imagery and having a smudge on an X-ray picture could lead to a bad diagnosis. I'll stick with my mouse and keyboard.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43650

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
May not be appropriate for every application, but it think it will lend itself to video and audio editing very nicely if people actually take the time to design the UI correctly, and take the time to give it a chance and learn it.

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43652

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
It's not unusual, in an edit suite where the editor scans dual monitors a video monitor perhaps a WFM screen and sometimes a 'house' networked computer, for the computer monitors to be just about/actually out of reach. Some prefer a bit of distance between eyes and monitors as a more comfortable way to spend fifty or sixty hour a week. It is also not al all unusual for an experienced editor to watch the video monitor rather than the computer screens while editing.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43655

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
khaver wrote:
I hate touch screens. Can you imaging trying to use AutoCAD with a touch screen. How do you select a small object among a cluster of objects with your fat finger. Then there's the problem of smudges.

Greg_E wrote:
May not be appropriate for every application, but it think it will lend itself to video and audio editing very nicely if people actually take the time to design the UI correctly

I have been working with touchscreens since the mid to late '70s. I have written software drivers for photo-optical, capacitive and resistive touchscreens. I even came up with a version of gesture driven interaction. So obviously I'm a huge fan.

NO I'M DEFINITELY NOT!!!!! Until a surface treatment appears that prevents fatty acids from fingers being deposited on screens, I want people to keep their dirty greasy fingers off my displays.

Yes, there will inevitably be improvements to user interfaces. Yes, in the short term touch screens will be popular. But in the long term I suspect that motion detection and 3D space mapping techniques provide the path to future UIs.

In the meantime I'll avoid touchscreens for as long as I can.

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43663

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Hi jwrl,

Agreed!!!

My edit suite is sign posted. "You touch my screens, I break your fingers"

Cheers

Ronnie
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43664

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
Ronnie, I think you might find quite a market for those signs!

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43668

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Besides all the excitement for Windows 8 and gesture stuff, please keep in mind that:

• still not every user will be willing to invest in a new touch monitor besides his/her desktop computer (while this is still the most used device for video editing IMHO),
  • not everybody will be working with a tablet or any other touch device in the future, just because Windows currently tries kind of dictating that (and they even came up with that quite belated compared to other OS vendors),
  • not everybody feels the need to migrate to the latest OS hype, especially because this often goes hand in hand with spending much money for new hardware etc.

So if you really want to support Windows 8 features with Lightworks in the future, I advise to keep the keyboard editing functions in the product and maintain them as well, otherwise you might eventually lose customers.
I also recommend continuing long term Lightworks versions support for pre-Windows 8 editions in the future, like the x86 platform etc.

There is such a great Lightworks keyboard and also the Lightworks console, so there shouldn't be the need to invent the wheel from scratch just to make the core UI touchable
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 6 years ago by timzett.

Re: LWKS for research - syncronizing larger amounts of video material 6 years ago #43672

• Oridin
  • Gold Boarder
  • 6 years ago
timzett wrote:
Besides all the excitement for Windows 8 and gesture stuff, please keep in mind that:

• still not every user will be willing to invest in a new touch monitor besides his/her desktop computer (while this is still the most used device for video editing IMHO),
  • not everybody will be working with a tablet or any other touch device in the future, just because Windows currently tries kind of dictating that (and they even came up with that quite belated compared to other OS vendors),
  • not everybody feels the need to migrate to the latest OS hype, especially because this often goes hand in hand with spending much money for new hardware etc.

So if you really want to support Windows 8 features with Lightworks in the future, I advise to keep the keyboard editing functions in the product and maintain them as well, otherwise you might eventually lose customers.
I also recommend continuing long term Lightworks versions support for pre-Windows 8 editions in the future, like the x86 platform etc.

There is such a great Lightworks keyboard and also the Lightworks console, so there shouldn't be the need to invent the wheel from scratch just to make the core UI touchable

Amen to that!
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top