Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Licensing problems

Licensing problems 6 years, 2 months ago #41624

• ammotroop461
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
Okay, so i just downloaded Lightworks because i wasnted to get into a hobby of editing movies. When i drag and drop or even just import any movies from my external hard drive...it says it cant import to "format unlicensed". What does this mean and what can i do to get it to work?

Thanks!

Re: Licensing problems 6 years, 2 months ago #41634

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Lightworks free version has limited support for codecs. It is likely that the format you are using is an unsupported format. Use Eyeframe Converter--a tool created by Lightworks users--to transcode to supported formats.

There is also another tool AWPro which does the same thing.

Many popular codecs like H.264/AVCHD (patented by Apple) are commercial and have to be licensed by EditShare for use in Lightworks. Lightworks Pro has more support for these popular formats. This means that they can be edited natively in Lightworks without the need to transcode.

Bear in mind that native editing of AVCHD files requires a high spec PC. See Lightworks minimum and recommended hardware specs. And see this comparison of Lightwork Free and Pro codec support and features.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Licensing problems 6 years, 2 months ago #41638

• jonnythecroww
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
Hi

Sorry im going to have to dumb this down a little as im completely new to editing

All i want to do is import my HD sony camcorder files (AVCHD mpeg-ts video file) and do some basic editing. I can simply drag and drop these into something like windows movie maker with no problems,, which was fine but now feel i want to use something a bit more professional(also WMM has now become unuseable due to every video now being glitchy when published for some reason)

I guess the question is - if i upgrade to the pro version will it simply allow me to import my AVCHD sony cam vids?
(and why something as simply as WMM allows me to do this for free and LW's free version doesnt)

Pc specs
Intel I7 920@2.67ghz (a few years old now)
24gb ram
Asus X58 Sabertooth mobo
3 x NVidea Geforce GTX 680`s
3 x Neovo 22inch monitors
OCZ agility3 120gb SSD, 2x 280gb raptor, 700gb storage drive
1500w sagem psu

Thanks for any responces
Jon

Re: Licensing problems 6 years, 2 months ago #41645

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
WMM is not free. Part of the cost of the Windows OS went to licensing codecs for use in WMM.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Licensing problems 6 years, 2 months ago #41673

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
In the latest Beta, 11.1f AVCHD files can be transcoded on import to one of several supported HD formats. You can sign up for the Beta here. You don't need to uninstall v11.0.3, just install the Beta in a different installation directory.

Alternatively, use Eyeframe Converter--a tool developed by Lightworks users--to transcode externally to a Lightworks friendly format.

Lightworks Pro can import and edit AVCHD natively but you will need a high spec computer to handle it.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds
Scroll To Top