Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: External hard disks--avoid "media offline"

External hard disks--avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39935

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
External hard disks have their uses but a frequent problem is that Windows assigns a different drive letter to them after inserting flash memory sticks or SD cards. And this can result in "media offline" in Lightworks.

To avoid this happening, it is possible to assign a drive letter to an external drive that minimises the chances of this happening. Choose a drive letter high in the alphabet e.g. "P". This leaves the lower letters of the alphabet free for assignment to removable flash memory sticks and SD disks which should leave your external media storage drive unchanged.

See link in briandrys's post below for instructions on how to do this.

Note: this post has been edited as a result of feedback from subsequent posts.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39937

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
What's the advantage of the registry method compared to this method windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter ?

You can also do this with Windows 7 & XP.

I've added the links:

windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Change-add-or-remove-a-drive-letter

support.microsoft.com/kb/307844
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39938

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
@briandrys. Those are instructions for changing a drive letter but I am not sure if they create a permanent drive letter. Next time you insert a thumb drive or SD card, it may change again. (?)
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39948

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
The methods listed above do the exact thing. That is, if you change the drive letter using briandrys' method, it changes the exact same registry entry as shaunthesheep's method. The reason the poster recommends using a higher letter in the alphabet is because drives are automatically assigned letters starting with D. A and B are reserved for floppy drives (who uses them?) and C is usually the System Drive. As such, neither solution is permanent, they just provide a buffer between the automatic assignment of letters.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by rhinox202.

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39949

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
@rhinox. Thanks for your input. So, no need to manually change the registry then. I have edited the OP accordingly.
Desktop

Laptop

Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39991

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
Shaun, got your message.
That's exactly what I do. Just change it in computer management, as described on the links above.
It works for me, and as rhinox said, I use higher letters just to avoid windows taking letters away from me while booting.
Does it work for you?
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: External hard disks--assign a permanent drive letter to them to avoid "media offline" 5 years, 2 months ago #39993

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
@Schloime. So far it appears to be working. Thanks for responding.
Desktop

Laptop

Re: External hard disks--avoid "media offline" 2 years, 7 months ago #99989

• mahtay
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
What do you do once you have changed the drive letter and the 'media offline' tag is still there? Can you simply change the source letter in Lightworks or do you need to come back to the external letter and change it back each time?

Re: External hard disks--avoid "media offline" 11 months ago #147884

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months ago
For further info on media location management, there is a video tutorial:

For Windows users Project Fixer may be of assistance.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=99170&Itemid=81#ftop
Last Edit: 11 months ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top