Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why should I use Lightworks?

Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39265

• agoodname22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Ok, I need a new editor. Windows movie maker just doesn't cut it anymore. I've downloaded lightworks but I haven't learned how to use it yet. Why should I use lightworks over sony vegas or any other NLE editor?

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39266

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Opinion nr 1: Price would be one thing coming to mind. With the LW payment model you pay a decent price and always get the newest updates, as long as you pay. With other NLEs you buy a package, maybe get minor updates and the next version costs big money again. And the free version is still a powerful editor with really minor drawbacks, but workarounds for all of them can be found right here in the forum. (see features list on this website)
Because it is slim. Yes, I needed a day or two to get the concept of LW, but then it was fast and fluid, because LW is a pure editor and not overloaded with all kinds of fancy, but seldom needed, effects and tools and gizmos. It is straightforward in its way.
Because you like it. Take the day or two to get into it and decide. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Other opinions out there?
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by Schloime.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39269

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Hi and welcome to the LW Forum. Firstly, I should point out that LW has a long and proud heritage as a professional NLE. Once you become accustomed to the LW workflow, you will appreciate the speed and ease with which you can cut programmes from family videos to Hollywood movies.

As a pro NLE, (even the Free version) Lightworks 'expects' you to present it with a professional workflow and this is usually a bit more than dragging and dropping a few scenes into the timeline and outputting it to Youtube. If that's all you need, then there are plenty of other consumer orientated NLEs out there.

Secondly, I suggest you start with viewing the set of excellent LW video Tutorials, as you may need to 'unlearn' some 'bad habits' picked up with 'Movie maker'.

Thirdly, unless you operate on a 'workstation' quality PC, you may wish to address the professional 'transcode' workflow by checking out the 'Eyeframe' forum topic.

Finally, you'll find this forum extremely helpful with both amature and professional editors regular contributers so if you have problem, list your tech specs and ask away. Have Fun!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39561

• Ginoth
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Ok. So... Price and proud heritage, huh?
Mmmm...
First of all, I really think it's better to clarify something that bugs me.
Movie maker, windows vista and windows media player are all $%&%"#
They are sooooo bad, windows itself can't reply.

Well... with that settle, lets go on.

Virtualdub and/or virtualdubmod are free, got a lot history of proud heritage (about 10 years or more) and working together with the avisynth filters, they almost do magic.
I also admit it's not easy to begin with. You need some training and a lot of time of practice and error.
But... once you got the knowledge, you can work with almost every codec in audio or video.
That includes camera captures, mkv, flv, rmbv, TS, and all the others easy ones.

In the web there are many places to look for help. One of the best in english, is Doom9.

There is also another one free, but a little unstable. works usually fine, but you don't really know when your PC restarts ... ^_^
I'm talking about Avidemux.

-----

If there's gonna be ANY new program trying to gain a nice place in market... first of all must beat the ones already working.

The little knowledge about LW in the web, is that it has almost no filters, is difficult to learn and work with, and unstable.

Don't throw yourselves to my throat!
I'm not the one who qualifies the video programs offered in the internet. Just look for yourselves all the comments in places that offers LW.

Me?
I work fine for about 3 years with virtualdubmod and avisynth. Not really need more, except if I can do the same but easier.
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by Ginoth.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39562

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
It's intuitive to use.

You have the option to use multiple video tracks, that makes it easy. The other free ones only permit a single video track.

I don't know about other paid versions.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39568

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Ginoth wrote:
If there's gonna be ANY new program trying to gain a nice place in market... first of all must beat the ones already working.

LW is not new. It's been around for over twenty years, and in that time has been the NLE of choice on many major motion pictures. I have personally used it to cut several TV series. I've also used it cutting commercial spots.

Ginoth wrote:
The little knowledge about LW in the web, is that it has almost no filters, is difficult to learn and work with, and unstable.

I haven't found it unstable, even back in the DOS days. I have even been working on a LW when the local electricity supply took a direct lightning strike. And I lost - nothing! As for filters - well there are people working on that here, but I use LW for storytelling. I seldom need much in the way of effects, and if I do I generally farm them out.

Ginoth wrote:
I work fine for about 3 years with virtualdubmod and avisynth. Not really need more, except if I can do the same but easier.

Well I would respectfully suggest that if they meet your needs, stick with them. It's unlikely that LW is the appropriate tool for you.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39571

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
(Caution: purely personal opinion included)
@Ginoth: Maybe you misunderstood the word "heritage". It is not how long the product is on the market, but what has been done with it. I don't know of any blockbuster movies edited with virtualdub.
And this is right from the homepage of virtualdub: "It [virtualdub] lacks the editing power of a general-purpose editor..."
I think, you are mixing up two kinds of software: Lightworks on one side as an editor in terms of storytelling, putting many clips together to form a movie, and virtualdub and avidemux on the other side, which are far more useful, if you want to make changes to the technical side of the clips.
But I can be wrong...

@agoodname22: Did you find a useful answer yet?
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39623

• agoodname22
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Yeah. I think so. I have one more question that should fully convince me, how would you compare lightworks to sony vegas platinum?

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39626

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
It's like comparing apples and oranges. I suspect the Vegas will do everything you need, also owning Vegas Pro, I find the difference is in how Lightworks allows to work, rather than the job it does. Having been developed from an audio editor Vegas would probably be stronger in that area, although Lightworks does allow you to lay more audio tracks than this version of Vegas.

It's all a matter of personal taste, I find Lightworks less cluttered and I like how it allows you to quickly cut together different versions.

In the end, it comes down to the type of work you want them to use them for. Looking at the specs Lightworks allows for keyboard editing, while this Vegas seems to be more drag and drop centred. The Vegas is more deigned for the hobbyist, while Lightworks allows you edit the highest level productions.
Last Edit: 6 years, 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years, 1 month ago #39628

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Vegas Studio Platinum came bundled with my Sony camera. Trust me on this, compared to a professional editor like Lightworks, Vegas Studio is a 'toy'. Having said that, I still use it to mix my multi-track Lightworks exports to 5.1 Surround and burn to BluRay disk. In that capacity, Vegas Studio audio/burn features are excellent 3rd party support for my Lightworks edit sessions.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years ago #40327

• Gummi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years ago
"The Vegas is more deigned for the hobbyist."

Well, not really. Vegas Pro (never tried Platinum, and don't see any reason to) is a professional tool, but it's not aimed at feature film editing (although it's quite possible to use it for that purpose). I've used it quite a lot in the last 8 years or so. It's very stable and you can pretty much throw any type of video at it (and have several types of video on the same timeline). It's very good for pure video workflow. I've mostly used it to edit and create footage for theatre projections, and it's served it's purpose perfectly. It has a nice selection of filters (and a quite a lot of free ones available).

So if you (agoodname22) are mostly looking for an editor for editing clips with the web as the final
destination, Vegas Pro would be a good choice, but it's quite expensive if you're not doing this on any kind of professional basis. It has it's cons, of course. At the moment I'm editing a documentary (40-60 min), and that's admittedly a bit daunting, as Vegas lacks the advanced organisational features of higher level software like Avid and Lightworks (and therefore I'm looking into using Lightworks).

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years ago #40329

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 years ago
The Platinum seems to be aimed at the hobbyist market, it doesn't have the full spec of the Vegas Pro. As I mentioned, I've got Pro and it does pretty much as you describe.

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years ago #40332

• Gummi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Oh, sorry about that

Re: Why should I use Lightworks? 6 years ago #40336

• muellehe
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 years ago
The question should rather be why not to use Lightworks.

I pretty much came the same way as agoodname22 doing, some small films with the movie maker. Actually when I first signed in for Lightworks I did not manage to work out a workflow for me. However only recently I tried once more and especially assisted by the tuorials I cut my first small films.

As soon as you get used to the program you will find new options and possibilities with every edit you do and features the movie maker only can dream of.

So my recommandation to agoodname22 ist to test the - in my opinion - outstanding performance even of the free version. The tutorials will guide you through the first testfilms and then I do not think there will be anymore questions about why to use this progam.
Asus N61Ja Series, i3M350 @2,27GHz, 4GB, Win7 64 bit
Last Edit: 6 years ago by muellehe.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top