Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying a new laptop

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks, 3 days ago #239219

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
It has a second NVMe slot so I could just buy one 80€ for 500GB is no big deal, but is it necessary?

I use a M.2 ssd for my OS. and a HDD for the /home dir. Not sure if the M.2 is faster; how ever I can increase the size of my /home dir without the hassle of reinstalling the OS.
From what info I read the MVMe SSD is about 4 times faster that a SATA HDD

Edit
I found this article that may help.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Jpaulbiss.

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks, 2 days ago #239273

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Received new laptop and rendered a 4K film of 11 minutes in 5 minutes to 720 which is twice as fast as before , will do a proper feedback later.

Edit:

In Fact, it was 12 minutes of 4K film rendered down to 720 Youtube. It took 24 minutes on my old Laptop to render exactly the same film so it is actually closer to five times quicker. I am yet to do tests to see what happens with speeded up film etc which would also make my old machine suffer.

The New machine is a Ryzen 7 4800 with 16GB or Ram and a 1TB SSD drive with a 2060 GPU with 6GB.... So far so good.

Question; can I buy any M.2 ssd drive for it as long as it is physically the correct size. I use Crucial normally for buying Ram and SSD but their program does not seem to work on the two HP laptops I have tried it on...
Just trying
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by beara.biz.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top