Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buying a new laptop

Buying a new laptop 3 weeks, 1 day ago #237780

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi everyone, I appreciate that there are threads on here already and I have read some of them. Currently I have a 9 Year old ASUS N53 Intel I7, 16GB RAM 256 SSD and a Nvidia GPU which by the way I am sure does absolutely nothing.

On this setup for years I have been using 24FPS and rendering to the HD Youtube settings without too much problems. However I am starting to use 30FPS and importing bigger files, possibly soon 4K too. I know I will need to pay for that ability. From LWKS.

So either I buy a desktop, not my preferred option or a new laptop. I am an Asus fan after 9 years with this one so would either of these be good enough for 10 - 20 minute films possibly rendered at 4K? The speed of rendering is not really a problem, I can wait. But the speed during editing should be fluid enough.

www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/asus-tuf-blue-a15-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-gtx-1660-ti-512-gb-ssd-10205355-pdt.html

www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/asus-tuf-dash-f15-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10219906-pdt.html

These two seem reasonably priced, I would upgrade to 16 or 32 Ram and buy an external SSD drive too.

Thanks in advance
Just trying

Re: Buying a new laptop 3 weeks ago #237783

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
OT:
beara.biz wrote:
..The speed of rendering is not really a problem, I can wait. But the speed during editing should be fluid enough..

Under these conditions you can test the proxy workflow with your current computer in terms of preview and timeline editing speed: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787

Regarding export, where the proxies cannot be used, you might want to check how much memory your current GPU can use (besides the effects used) so that the export can succeed.

If, however, a new computer is desired (which would be understandable after 9 years), then of course the performance of the future hardware would also have to be considered.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.2 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Buying a new laptop 3 weeks ago #237784

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Thanks, have input those settings to my last video to check.

My sons 1 year old I5 with 8GB of Ram seems actually better than my old I7, no graphics card just on board.

So for the people in the know Ryzen or I7 ???
Just trying
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by beara.biz.

Re: Buying a new laptop 3 weeks ago #237785

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
beara.biz wrote:
So for the people in the know Ryzen or I7 ???
I believe, it's very unlikely that you'll find a person on this forum who has practical experience with the two mentioned laptops. After comparing the technical data, I'm pretty sure that you won't see much of a difference in editing performance. You might be better off reading tests on the internet to compare the pros and cons of the systems and decide based on this information and your personal preferences?

Please note: A frame in 4K has 4 times the pixels of HD, meaning to achieve the same editing performance, you need a new system which quadruples the overall system performance of the existing, that's something like switching from a dual core i3 to a 10 core i7. Converting 4K video to edit friendly formats prior to editing, e.g. Cineform, or using proxies are far cheaper approaches when working with media in 4K and above. That's what most people do. The performance of the machine matters nevertheless, the faster it is, the shorter the time for conversion.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Buying a new laptop 3 weeks ago #237789

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Yes I found out about the proxie thing today. Thanks.
Just trying

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks, 1 day ago #238030

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi again everyone, SO this time last week I was looking at gaming laptop options as I convinced myself that they would make for a good Video editing machine. Unfortunately the model I wanted is out of stock in Ireland.

How would something like the following be? Hardware wise...

- Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor
- Quad-core
- 2.8 GHz / 4.7 GHz
- 12 MB cache

16 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz)
512 GB SSD

BUT with what is called a Intel Iris XE graphics

Thanks in advance, anyone actually using a laptop with this configuration, 4K 100MBITS
Just trying

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks ago #238044

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
beara.biz wrote:

- Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor
[...]
BUT with what is called a Intel Iris XE graphics .

Your previous laptops also had the "Iris" GPU in on the CPU chip. The laptop you are now considering will probably use this GPU.

See: ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208662/intel-core-i7-1165g7-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics seems to be a brand new GPU, which makes it hard to find comparison tests. Compared to other Intel GPUs, the specs don't look bad, but I doubt it can match good separate graphics cards. But for laptops, a lot also depends on the available electrical power and cooling. I asked anyway whether the other laptop can fully use the Nvidia GPU, which was specified with max. 80 W in the mobile version according to Internat.
Under Win 10, the Intel GPU can probably use a maximum of 50% of your main memory (8 GB with 16 GB total).

Quote from the Intel data sheet:

Lithography: 10 nm SuperFin
Seems to be the latest Intel miniaturisation technology, which so far is only available for laptops (Intel standard was 14 nm). As far as I know, smaller is often better, because more components in the same area, and less energy consumption and heat.

Configurable TDP-up Frequency: 2.80 GHz
Configurable TDP-up: 28 W
Configurable TDP-down Frequency: 1.20 GHz
Configurable TDP-down: 12 W

These values can apparently be configured (reduced) by the laptop manufacturer if the laptop is not designed for maximum performance in terms of power or cooling. No idea what is configured in this laptop.
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.2 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks ago #238066

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your reply, the thing is currently I have a NVIDIA GT630M in my old Laptop, as far as I can see it has never worked, I have two monitors, the laptops and a 24" screen, both are attached to the Intel Graphics of the laptop. So physically at least it never works, as hard as I have tried to get it to connect it never does. I am concerned that I could get a new laptop with a GPU that is exactly the same, there on paper but not actually doing anything.
I even got hold of an old VGA cable to connect the screen with and straight away it swapped over to Intel Graphics, I have watched a few youtube videos and read a few pages, done exactly what they say, it never works.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Just trying

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks ago #238074

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Then I assume that this is irrelevant for your laptop mentioned in post #238030 if it only has one GPU anyway.
If it is also cheaper ? ...

Re: Buying a new laptop 2 weeks ago #238082

• beara.biz
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
Not at all irrelevant, I am happy to pay extra to have a GPU, but will it actually do anything. Is there a software switch within each program to turn on the use of a GPU, I would have imagined that my computer would choose the best option, which one would imagine should be the GPU.
On top of this issue with which laptop to buy, there is a lack of stock in Ireland, which is compounding the difficulty of choice.
Just trying
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top