Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Applying effects to multiple clips.

Applying effects to multiple clips. 1 month ago #237332

• Shaunyman
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi. I have found a number of similar threads to this, but none seem to address my specific question.

In the distant past probably Circa V12 I could choose an effect alter the settings and save that as my own effect. I could then for example apply to matching clips using name equals. That would then apply those setting to all the matching clips. In the latest version I can still apply an effect to the matching clips but I can't change the settings first, so if I choose for example a 2D DVE and apply to matching clips I get lots of clips each with a DVE with default settings.

I know how to copy effects from one clip to another (folded or unfolded) but with a seq that was filmed with two cameras, after editing I have dozens of clips on the timeline with the same name copying an effect to each of them one at a time is tedious, there must be a better way (there certainly used to be) but I can't find it.

Thanks as always for any advice

Re: Applying effects to multiple clips. 1 month ago #237333

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
If you use the yellow selection boxes, the same effect can be applied to a number of segments at the same time. Please see here for more: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=224021&Itemid=81

Re: Applying effects to multiple clips. 4 weeks, 1 day ago #237351

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Shaunyman wrote:
... In the distant past probably Circa V12 I could choose an effect alter the settings and save that as my own effect. ...
You can still create effect templates. Is that your question, how do you do that?

Shaunyman wrote:
... I could then for example apply to matching clips using name equals. That would then apply those setting to all the matching clips. In the latest version I can still apply an effect to the matching clips ...
Correct, that is still possible. in the classic way, or new with selected segments.

Shaunyman wrote:
... but I can't change the settings first ..

As in previous versions, you should use your created effect template for this, not the default effect with default settings.

If you use the flexible layout, you can also use the old hidden features, e.g. by inserting and setting effects directly in clips, subclips, syncs etc., and when adding the segments to the sequence timeline, these preset effects are then automatically applied directly or indirectly (partly later globally adjustable, partly not, depending on the type of source element).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.1 & 2021.2 (& old 14.x , 2020.x) || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Applying effects to multiple clips (Solved). 4 weeks, 1 day ago #237354

• Shaunyman
  • Junior Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi Guys - Thanks for your responses.

Briandrys - I tried out the yellow boxes - I can highlight all the clips I want to add an effect to but it seems like just another way of choosing a set of clips and is therefore similar to adding effects to matching clips.

Schrauber - You have hit the nail on the head. My simple confusion has been that saving a effect as a template has changed subtly. I think there used to be a button on screen but now it's only part of the context menu. However, now I know how to access it, I have been able to create my on specific DVE and then apply to all matching clips thus achieving exactly what I wanted to do. (I could also have used the yellow boxes at this point too)

I consider myself a fairly advanced LW user but I can still trip up over small things like this. Thanks for being there to sort me out.

Shaun

Re: Applying effects to multiple clips (Solved). 4 weeks, 1 day ago #237359

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Shaunyman wrote:
I think there used to be a button on screen but now it's only part of the context menu.

Well, the cogs symbol has been dropped and the regions to click on aren't obvious. This creates traffic on the forum, because existing users of earlier versions are confused and the available functions are effectively hidden for new users.

However, since the cogs icons have been dropped in several contexts already with V14.0 the GUI designers certainly had good reasons for doing it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top