Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best codec to use with the free version

Best codec to use with the free version 6 years, 10 months ago #23721

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 10 months ago
I've been trying out the new free version for only a few days now, but so far the best codec to use for editing for me has been the free GoPro Cineform codec that gets installed when you install the free GoPro Cineform Studio application. So you will need to transcode your footage outside of Lightworks (my codec swapping utility does not work with the new version). For lossless transcodes you can use the UT Codec Suite or Lagarith.

From the tests I've done it seems that any codec that Lightworks imports through it's Mainconcept plugin system is having performance problems. Even Matrox MPEG2 I-Frame HD that used to work flawlessly in the beta has problems (stuttering, freezing when stepping) now that it's being decoded by the Mainconcept plugin. Devs, please look into this.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years, 10 months ago #23759

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 10 months ago
Have just installed LW11 over my LW beta and the new version works flawlessly (including my Shuttle Pro V20 setup!) I used the free 'DSLR Post Prep' to transcode my camera's AVCHD .MTS files to the M701 codec which was optimised for LW beta. I'm pleased to report this codec also works very smoothly in LW11, even on my low spec Windows 7 i3 laptop!

PS: DSLR Post prep also allows transcoding to DNxHD codec (license required for LW11)
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years, 10 months ago #23835

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 10 months ago
I'll have to look into this more. I have some directshow filters (halii splitter, lav filters, etc.) that might be interfering with the Mainconcept plugin system Lightworks now uses.

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42316

• funkydmunky
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years ago
With the Go Pro Cineform Studio I get erratic fps readings. When I import a clip it can say anything from .23 fps to a wopping 960.00 fps!! I tried this app before I read your post and was going to dismiss it. The result is it will render the video into mega fast or slow, with split second to endless render times to match.
Any advice?

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42517

• funkydmunky
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Can anyone help with this?
Is Cineform Studio an acceptable codec conversion solution?
Tips, tricks, help please.

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42518

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Cineform Studio's main use is for GoPro Hero video files. Other sources aren't guaranteed to work. What's the source of your variable frame rate clips? To edit your video you will most likely need to convert your clips to a constant frame rate. I don't think any NLE can work with VFR video files.

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42521

Once the Cineform codec is on your system, you can use Virtualdub to convert to Cineform. See this post.

I recall having audio problems when trying to convert using Cineform Studio.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42578

• funkydmunky
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years ago
Hey thanks for the reply.
In a rush to evaluate Lightworks I was just grabbing a bunch of small clips off my drive. I never heard of VFR before. My bad. I should have used some cam clips which i will now do.
Thanks again.

Re: Best codec to use with the free version 6 years ago #42580

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years ago
There are some codecs that allow variable frame rate to save on playback/streaming bandwidth, but these are strictly for watching not editing. It is possible to convert these types of videos to constant frame rate. I believe Avisynth can do it by duplicating or skipping frames as needed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top