Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors

[SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 12 months ago #23303

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 12 months ago
How do you expand the desktop of LW onto 2 monitors?
Last Edit: 5 years, 12 months ago by Forum Admin.

Re: Multiple monitors 5 years, 12 months ago #23315

• Cookiecutter
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 5 years, 12 months ago
Hi Doug,

You will need to enable the Windows title bar by opening the Preferences tool in the Toolbox and ticking "Show Windows title bar" You should then be able to stretch Lightworks across both screens.
Last Edit: 5 years, 12 months ago by Cookiecutter.

Re: Multiple monitors 5 years, 12 months ago #23340

• Doug
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 12 months ago
Thanks. That does it!

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24533

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
I was hoping that V11 would add a real dual monitors feature. So the only way is still this stretch the window workaround? I wonder why.

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24600

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
Update - 8/27/14
This is a maintenance release. It fixes a couple issues, the Readme was updated for clarity, and there is a new "Run at startup" option. Get it here!

Update - 7/12/12
I just completed a significant update to the LWMultiMon program. The old link is below just in case anyone still wanted it, while the new version can be found here (changelog). Enjoy!

Original Release - 6/27/12
Sotitomo
I created a little program which resizes Lightworks. I have only done very light testing, as I don't use a multi-monitor setup, but it seems to work. You can download it from here. Included in the ZIP is the program, instructions, positions file, and the original AHK code. Let me know if it works for you.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta
Last Edit: 3 years, 9 months ago by rhinox202.

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24773

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
Thanks. But I think lwks should support something as basic as a dual monitor set up without needing to resort to external plug-ins. I can't think of a single other professional NLE that doesn't. I wonder why they didn't fix that for V11? Is it that complicated to do? Because I would have thought they had enough time. Is it even in the plans for a future point release or something?

By the way, I think slapping SOLVED on the topic's title is misleading. This is not solved! It's a workaround. A limited one.
Last Edit: 5 years, 11 months ago by sotitomo.

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24782

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
Some strange behavior with LW stretched across multiple monitors. When I check "Show Windows title bar" and stretch LW across both monitors, move an edit in a project over to the other monitor, go back to the "lobby" then back into the project, the edit shows up in the other monitor but the red borders around them shows up on the main monitor. Very strange. Lightworks is not coded to take advantage of multiple monitors except for the F12 key showing a full screen view of the video that has focus. For now, just get 2 1920x1080 monitors. 1 for a large work space and the other for the F12 full screen (the toggle state gets saved when you exit LW so it can be active whenever you start LW). Though the F12 full screen key won't be necessary if you have a supported hardware I/O board or box.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24784

• sotitomo
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
khaver wrote:
Lightworks is not coded to take advantage of multiple monitors except for the F12 key showing a full screen view of the video that has focus.

Yes, this is very limiting. I wonder why this wasn't taken care of during the 2 years or so that V11 has been in development? Do the lwks team think this is an unnecessary feature? Dual monitor is a very needed thing with longer projects. Editshare, please take care of this.

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 11 months ago #24785

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
Just to clarify, my setup has the number 2 monitor on the left and number 1 on the right. If you make sure 1 is on the left and it's your primary monitor and number 2 on the right, then the stretching across both should work without anomalies. I think it has to do with the way Windows keeps track of screen space.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 10 months ago #27519

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 10 months ago
I just completed a significant upgrade to the LWMultiMon program I wrote a while ago. The new version sits in the system tray and double-clicking it launches/resizes Lightworks automatically. Also, the new Settings window with Preview option makes it much easier to setup. For those interested, configured settings are stored in the Registry at "HKCU\Software\LWMultiMon".

From the testing I performed, this new version seems to fix two problems that others were having.

• Secondary monitor not working correctly when to the left of the Primary monitor
  • Panels not keeping their correct position when re-opening a project

Links to the different versions can be found in the original post. If anyone runs into issues or would like something added, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy!
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 10 months ago #27596

• Schloime
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 10 months ago
@ rhinox: The tool works perfectly for me, thank you very much. I even have a 3-monitor setup, 2 working monitors on a graphics adapter, and a third one on the internal graphics as a video display (thanks to ASRock). LW automatically selected (by chance, I guess) the right monitor as video display, so my other two (old 4:3 CRTs) are used for LW now.

@ sotitomo: Maybe no one before you requested that feature... since most people use only two monitors in a multi-monitor setup, I guess most have LW on one screen and the fullscreen display on the second. But in your post it is possible to understand that you blame editshare for playing around for two years doing unimportant things, and I don't think so. But just my opinion, and maybe I understood you the wrong way as a non-native english speaker...
Tech: AMD FX 6100, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX780, Win10 64, Panasonic AG-AC90, Panasonic HC-X929, Canon EOS 600D (T3i), Contour Shuttle, BMD Intensity Pro, Zoom H2N, Tascam DR44WL, DVR Dongle

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 3 months ago #40708

• yoyomimo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Hi all!

I did that Cookiecutter do. But i can't use LW one my two screen. I've got the LW in a windows, but it can't be used on the tow screen. Why?

Thanks

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 3 months ago #40727

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
When you say it can't be used on the second screen, do you mean that you can't drag Lightworks onto the second screen? If so, try dragging the window across the opposite way. That is, if you are dragging off the screen to the left, try dragging it off the screen to the right.

Here's the explanation for the above if it fixed your problem. Windows detects your displays and assigns their placement based on how they are attached to the video card. By default, new displays are attached to the right of the previous display. Windows has no way of knowing that the second screen is physically to the left of the primary. You can correct this by changing your display settings. The following instructions should work for Vista and newer. Right-click on the Desktop and select "Screen resolution". On that panel, press Identify. This will display a number on its corresponding display. Now drag one of the display icons to the correct location while keeping the top edges lined up. Click Ok and your problem should be fixed.

Should you get your problem fixed, may I suggest trying LWMultiMon. You'll find it a few posts up. It's a program that I wrote a while ago specifically for launching and automatically resizing Lightworks to fullscreen. It's not crazy difficult to setup but if you have any problems or questions, let me know. Good luck!

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 2 months ago #41258

• yoyomimo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
My both screen are working weell. LW can't be used one the tow screens, I had to choose my monitors. And LW is running in "Windows mode". So how I can dispache the windows in LW in all my windows environement?
Last Edit: 5 years, 2 months ago by yoyomimo.

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple monitors 5 years, 2 months ago #41298

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 2 months ago
By default, Lightworks displays on the Primary screen only and an optional fullscreen preview on the Secondary. To show the Lightworks GUI on both screens, click the Preferences icon (2nd from bottom) and check "Show OS title bar". Click Restore (between Minimize and Maximize) to make the GUI not fullscreen and then grab the edges of the window to resize. Alternatively and optionally, you can use an app I wrote a while ago for precise resizing of Lightworks. It is a few posts back but here is a link to it.
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top