Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks to Go

Lightworks to Go 2 weeks, 6 days ago #224564

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
I've started this thread for people who wish working on the same project on different computers, not simultaneously, but e.g. at work and at home, or at home and when travelling. This may even imply editing the same project on different operating systems. This description applies to the Pro and the Free version and it assumes that the reader knows how to set up, create, and restore project backups, what internal media spaces are used for, and how media can be relinked/repaired.

The most reliable way to edit one project on different machines is using project backups including all media on a mobile storage device, updating the backup prior to moving, and restoring it prior to editing on another system.

The procedures are by no means intuitive and there are some traps you should be aware of.

This is the basic procedure to prepare ('Master' is the machine initially used to import media, 'Slave' any other computers supposed to edit the same project):

Step 1: On the Master, make sure that no clip shows media offline. To do that, add the column 'Media location' to the list view and sort by media location. All locations must be valid, i.e. none is blank or shows a path in red letters. Correct missing of offline media, if necessary, before proceeding.

Step 2: Make a New project backup from 'Project.Make backup..' and include all media.

Step 3: On the Slave, restore the archive and check the media locations the same way you did it on the Master. Under normal circumstances all media are copied from the archive to your local media location and none should show an invalid path.

Now, assuming that all locations are valid, your are ready to go for editing on either system, but do it never ever simultaneously on different computers.

After editing is finished on one system, Update the existing project backup on the mobile device including all media. This writes all modified metadata and newly imported media to the backup and skips the existing. Prior to editing on the other system, restore the project backup. Restoring from backup creates a new project in the project browser. It skips already existing media and adds newly imported. You can safely delete the existing older version or you can keep it, if you need a project history. If you keep it, make sure to use always the most recent version. Renaming older versions may help to avoid this error.

What are the most common traps?

1. Missing to check on the master for all media being online will create offline media on all Slaves as well.
2. Missing to make a backup of the most recent project state will lead to different versions of the project.
3. Missing to restore the backup prior to starting editing will lead to different versions of the project.
4. Removing relevant internal media locations from 'Project.Media.Locations' on any of the systems will lead to offline media.

Are there more traps?

Yes, there are some incompatibilities with project backups created with versions prior to 2020.

1. Images linked directly to the Image effects are not included in project backups.
2. MP3 Audio may not be poperly relinked.
3. Audio embedded in MP4 files may not be properly relinked.
4. Imported single images might be stored as image sequences in the archive.

Please note: I've posted this already during the beta phase of 2020.1, but decided to withdraw it due to an issue I wasn't aware of which is not listed here. The issue seems to be fixed, so I hope everything works reliably as explained.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 6 days ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks to Go 2 weeks, 5 days ago #224574

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Thanks for that!!!

Re: Lightworks to Go 2 weeks, 5 days ago #224587

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Hi Kalimerox,

My pleasure.

However, I'm not sure if any of the Editshare developers has read my post in beta forums and ever tried to create an archive on one machine, restore and update on another, back and forth. I'd suggest trying the described workflow with a small test project first.

Just in case you should try it, please let me know if, and if how, it works for you.

I've attached a project backup with a few proxy-type clips to test with, if you wish.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top