Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: deleting sections on a video clip

deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223829

• ssubas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I'm a novice.
Trying to delete sections on a single video clip.

After deleting a section; the deleted section remains on the timeline, as a separate section. How do I get the deleted section out of the timeline?

thanks

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223830

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
What are you doing that you believe is deleting the section?

The quick way to actually delete a section in Lightworks is to mark one end of the section that you want to delete by pressing either the i or o key, then park the timeline cursor at the other end of the section that you wish to remove. Press the z key to delete that section but leave a gap where it was, or press the x key to delete that section and close the gap.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223831

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Jwrl has given you the quickest method, the one that the professionals use. There are a number of other methods available to either delete or remove sections of a segment in the timeline after you've marked ("i" or "o") and parked the section. So, you're not limited in choice.

Using "a" and "s" speeds up accurately placing the timeline cursor at either the start or end of the clip after you've marked it.

There's more on mark and park here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=27&id=110089&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223902

• ssubas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Your "delete" tip worked once. Now doesn't. Please see attached file.

Thanks.

Note there are images on the viewer, but not on the timeline (don’t know why).
At this point if I hit “x”; everything disappears from the timeline & viewer
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223904

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
It looks like the video track has been deselected, because it's a gray colour.

Don't use the yellow box for selection unless you intend to select all of the clip, it's basically similar to "mark all" (of the clip) - there's a keyboard shortcut called that. If you hit "x" everything will disappear because you've selected all of the clip. It's a handy new feature, but use mark and park to select part of a clip.

EDIT You can't use the keyboard with the yellow selection box in the fixed layout, only in the flexible layout.

Left click to remove the yellow selection box.

Please check in the timeline menu, in settings > under video: show thumbnails should be clicked if you wish to see them.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by briandrys.

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223917

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
FWIW

As mentioned, deleting a section on the timeline is as easy as mark & park the section then press the 'X-key' to delete (or the Z-key to remove and leave the gap). It affects enabled tracks. To toggle enable/disable single tracks, click on the track name left hand side. To toggle enable/disable all tracks click on the 'All' button' down left.

However, with Lightworks V14.5 2020.1 segments can be selected. The selection is indicated by yellow borders. This feature adds not only new functions to Lightworks, but also complexity.

No official video tutorial shows how to work with selected segments and the current user guide doesn't mention the feature anywhere. Unless you are a person who enjoys playing with newly invented and undocumented features just for the sake of fun, I'd suggest turning them off in order to reduce the risk of doing something wrong, because selected segments interfere with the mark and park paradigm heavily.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: deleting sections on a video clip 1 month, 1 week ago #223969

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
This thread headed off into a completely different direction at this point. I have split that off to Where is the toolbar?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top