Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair

MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 4 days ago #222361

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
So I was working on a project for the past ~3.5 hours, and I was undoing a few thing and (I assume) Lightworks crashed. I relaunched Lightworks and my Sequence viewer had changed to "media offline", with the title [Missing Source]. I tried doing the "repair" function but it was not available. is there some way to just select the file that it was originally based off of? I don't want to lose my progress and I'm a little ticked off. I have not moved any files whatsoever. Please help.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 4 days ago #222367

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Hello,

Difficult to say what that is..

White segments in the timeline together with the text "Missing source" ("Missing log" with V14.5) next to the sequence name, usually indicate manually deleted clips. They cannot be relinked/repaired, but must be restored first. I cannot remember that I've seen this caused by a crash.

However, if it has been caused by a crash and not by unintended deletion, I'm not sure if you can restore them. A try will show. If not successful, you must import the missing clips and re-edit the faulty parts.

To restore deleted clips, leave the project, right-click on the project tile, select 'Restore items from backup(s)', switch to the tab 'Deleted' and see if you can restore the missing clips.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222404

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
there was one backup under the 'deleted' tab, but it seems it was made post-crash. Is there some way to manually re-insert the video file so that it recognizes the source again? It is completely possible that I somehow manually deleted the video clip before crashing by a few unintended key presses.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222408

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
The information used in the timeline to identify media and timecodes refers to log files (so called 'cookies') which represent the clips, one log file per clip. Deleting clips, deletes their log file and the required information is lost.

Replacing segments in the timeline from the source viewer is a fast procedure, but with with deleted clips, you'll have to find the start frame on the re-imported clip(s) for each segment manually first.

Please check carefully: Does the object shown on the 'Deleted' panel, represent a name of a clip which is missing in the project?
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 3 days ago by hugly.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222409

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
As hugly writes, the question is whether a clip tile is missing in the clip filter of your project content, which you used for the Sequence.

Staddyy wrote:
there was one backup under the 'deleted' tab, but it seems it was made post-crash..
Was it a clip element or a sequence?
In your case, we're looking for the Clip.

If your sequence is corrupted and therefore cannot be assigned to the clip in the project content, Lightworks can create a Bin with some earlier versions of your sequence from milestones and you can see if one is ok.
Bin of milestones:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=218636&Itemid=81#218672

This is of no use if the clip tile in the project content is missing or damaged, because all sequences need it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 3 days ago by schrauber.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222411

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
schrauber wrote:
..In your case, we're looking for the Clip ..

Or Subclip, or Print, or Sync (depending on what you added to the sequence at the time)

EDIT: It is suspicious that the Subclip filter in your project content is gray.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 3 days ago by schrauber.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222413

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Schrauber,

Could you agree that we work on this step by step, not all thinkable information thrown in all at once?

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222420

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
ok yeah, I made the bin of milestones and even the first one that was made is labelled as "media offline".

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222422

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
the name under the 'deleted' tab is now missing since I restored that backup after you mentioned it, but as far as I remember it did not show as the clips title (which was the date recorded), but rather as 'Sequence #1'

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222424

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
In this situation, from my point of view, others might see this differently,the most straight forward fix is, make a copy of your current sequence to work on, import the missing clips and replace the missing segments in the timeline manually.

To replace a segment in the timeline from the source viewer, mark and park a missing segment in the timeline. With no marked section on the source viewer, find the start frame on the source viewer and press the B-key to replace. Repeat for all segments with missing media.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222436

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
Schrauber,

Could you agree that we work on this step by step, not all thinkable information thrown in all at once?

Whoa!!! You may think that you're the only one entitled to help people here, but you are not. Criticising another user because they are trying to help is not acceptable. An apology to schrauber would be a good idea.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222438

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Schrauber,

I am convinced that you are a person who doesn't need jwrl as self-proclaimed advocate for your rights to speak. If you feel my wording above to be insulting to you, please take my apologies and feel free to contact me via hugly@t-online.de.

Edit.: Extension of the e-mail address corrected.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222444

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
To replace a segment in the timeline from the source viewer, mark and park a missing segment in the timeline. With no marked section on the source viewer, find the start frame on the source viewer and press the B-key to replace. Repeat for all segments with missing media.

So my video is all on one track (essentially) and made up of segments that just had the video between them removed. Is there a way to view say... timestamps? Of the original segments? Because by your method I have no way of knowing where the 'start frame' is on each segment (white sections) in correlation to the source video.

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222445

• Staddyy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
adding onto this, is there a video showcasing what you mean here?

Re: MEDIA OFFLINE + can't repair 2 weeks, 3 days ago #222446

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
I am convinced that you are a person who doesn't need jwrl as self-proclaimed advocate for your rights to speak.

As a moderator I am required to maintain courteous behaviour on these forums. When you slap down another user who is trying to help that is discourteous. You will be called out for it, if not by me, by other moderators.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top