Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Syncing separately recorded sound to picture - speed compensation

Syncing separately recorded sound to picture - speed compensation 4 months, 3 weeks ago #221659

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
For separately recorded audio, the playback speed has to be set to match the video speed. That's because recording and playback speed of audio usually refers to real time, same as video recorded in straight frame rates (e.g. 24, 30, 60 fps), whereas video recorded in NTSC drop-frame (e.g. 23.976, 29.97, 59.94 fps) runs slower by a factor of 1000/1001 to match the standards.

With V14.5 (and earlier), this speed compensation could be set only prior to import using the 'Pre-ingest sync' settings for 'Audio-only media' from 'Import Commands'.

Starting with 2020.1 this has changed. Now, the speed compensation for audio-only media can be set before and after import, pre-ingest and post-ingest:

Pre-ingest: From 'Project.Video.Output.Format' set a matching frame rate, e.g. 29.97 for audio to match 29.97 fps video, 30 for audio to match 30 fps video. Then import the audio. If you have a mix of frame rates, repeat for each frame rate. After import, you can check the assigned frame rate either on the file card (F4) for each audio clip or, under the column 'Frame rate' on the list view of 'Project Contents'. If the column isn't listed, right-click on the columns headline and enable the field 'Frame rate'.

Post-ingest: The list view of 'Project Contents' and the file card are the places where you can change the frame rate of already imported audio-only media. That should even work with audio already edited in the timeline. However, I'd suggest checking closely for possible issues in the timeline after changing the audio frame rate for edited clips, before proceeding.

In fact, audio hasn't a frame rate. Digital audio has a sampling rate. The speed compensation for audio-only media is done by multiplying the sampling rate with a factor. The field 'Audio Rate' on the list view of 'Project Contents' shows this factor. It respects the frame rate settings of the clip and the current frame rate settings of the project.

Project Settings - Project.Video.Output.Format (pre-ingest):

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

File Card Metadata (post-ingest):

List View (post-ingest):

Setup List View: Enable Frame Rate and Audio Rate in List View

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Syncing separately recorded sound to picture - speed compensation 4 months, 1 week ago #222283

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I must be getting blind in my old age. Where to I find this pre/post-ingest setting?
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: Syncing separately recorded sound to picture - speed compensation 4 months, 1 week ago #222285

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I added a few a screenshots above. Does that help?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Syncing separately recorded sound to picture - speed compensation 4 months, 1 week ago #222292

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Thanks
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top