Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is Hp Elite Desk 800 G5 Mini with i7 enough for Lightworks?

Is Hp Elite Desk 800 G5 Mini with i7 enough for Lightworks? 3 months ago #218013

• LlamaPoppy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Hi! I am looking at buying the HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini with i7 to do video editing with Lightworks. Is this a good choice?
Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64
Intel® Core™ i7-9700
Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (3 GHz base frequency, up to 4.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 12 MB cache, 8 cores)
16 GB memory
512 GB PCIe® SSD storage

I don't have the budget to spend much more than this but am wondering if I am choosing the right one. I am wondering if I need a better graphics card of if that isn't necessary?
I want to film mainly speed builds on The Sims 4 and edit them in Lightworks then post onto YouTube.
Thanks

Re: Is Hp Elite Desk 800 G5 Mini with i7 enough for Lightworks? 3 months ago #218016

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Hello,

That configuration doesn't sound bad. I would add a fast 2TB internal HDD for media, archives and backups to it. Basically, Lightworks uses the GPU to render effects, for scaling and the display, the CPU for file I/O, decoding/encoding and the user interface. A dedicated graphic card with sufficient VRAM is recommended, but I think the onboard Intel HD Graphics 630 is sufficient, even for 4K media, if you use not too complex effect setups.

However, video editing is like tractor pulling, the heavier the load, the more power you need to pull it. The load is the media format and the complexity of edits, the tractor the computer.

To reduce the load, it's best practice to use optimized media for editing, either common intermediate formats (e.g. MPEG2 I-Frame HD, ProRes, DNxHR) created with third party software from the original media prior to import or, more convenient, internal proxies. So you can scale the load to match the power of your tractor.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is Hp Elite Desk 800 G5 Mini with i7 enough for Lightworks? 3 months ago #218025

• LlamaPoppy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Okay, thank you so much for your response!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top