Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere?

Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #214160

• SwissSauceYT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
This is damn annoying, every single video file on my computer has a .lvix counterpart made for some reason. When I try to delete them, eventually they just come back. Why is this happening and how do I stop it?!

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #214161

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

These .lvix files are how Lightworks logs the media files that you're using in your projects. Other NLEs do the same thing, so that they can find required media quickly while you're editing.

The upcoming V2020.1 (currently in beta) offers this:

Added ability to generate .lvix seek files locally (previously stored next to linked media)
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #214179

• SwissSauceYT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Is there a way I can make the hidden, then? Do they take up extra space?

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #214181

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
They are very small files.

V2020.1 beta apparently can generate .lvix seek files locally. I don't know the procedure, since it's not an issue for me.

This may be another option: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=9&id=171364&Itemid=81#171563

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 1 week ago #215200

• SwissSauceYT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I don't see how it's not an issue for everyone. It makes my videos folder very cluttered and annoying to navigate. And the fact that they are very small doesn't really matter, the thing is that they ARE taking up space when they don't need to be. I'd be ok with this if I could just make it so I can't see them.

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 1 week ago #215201

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
As mentioned already by briandrys in other words:

The easiest way to get the lvix-files out of sight: Install 2020.1 beta and delete the lvix-files next to your media. Lightworks 2020 creates the lvix-files on demand in a folder within the internal data space.

If you prefer staying with V14.5, you can set the 'hidden attribute' for all lvix-files and configure the Windows Explorer settings to not show hidden files. Software which allows setting attributes of files in multiple folders all at once saves time if you have a lot of them. I use the app Everything for that: www.voidtools.com/

How to set/unset the hidden attribute without third party software: www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85586-set-unset-hidden-attribute-files-folders-windows-10-a.html
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Why are .lvix files showing up everywhere? 4 months, 1 week ago #215210

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
SwissSauceYT wrote:
I don't see how it's not an issue for everyone.

It isn't because not everyone wants to manage media files directly. In a system like Lightworks this can be the cause of disaster. However if you want to hide all of your lvix files using the command prompt it's extremely simple. Launch the command processor by right clicking on the Windows Start button and click on "Run". In the window that opens, type cmd.exe and press enter.

We will assume that you want to hide all of the lvix files on drive D. What you will get when you launch the command processor (cmd.exe) is something that looks like this.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.XXXXX.XX]
(c) 2019 Microsoft corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Demonstration>D:

D:\>

Having got this far, you type attrib +h *.lvix /s and press enter.

D:\>attrib +h *.lvix /s

That will go through every folder on drive D: and hide any lvix file that it encounters. If you have a lot of them it could take a while. Now's the time to go and have a coffee.

To unhide them, just do this.

D:\>attrib -h *.lvix /s

If you are likely to want to do that frequently you can create a batch file to do it for you. Just put the following into a plain text file called hide_lvix.bat and place a copy in the root of every drive that you have.

attrib +h \*.lvix /s

Then to use it all that you have to do is open the drive you want to fix and double click on that batch file.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top