Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I sync old videos with a new install?

How do I sync old videos with a new install? 4 months, 1 week ago #213508

• JimDaddyO
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Long story short....My editing computer died and I had to buy a new one. I keep my completed videos on an external HDD. I had to reinstall Lightworks on my new computer. So how do I get Lightworks to open up with all my old video projects on the main screen again? I should add that I don't have access to the files on the old computer....yet, maybe.

Re: How do I sync old videos with a new install? 4 months, 1 week ago #213515

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

The Ligtworks user folder contains all project metadata and assets, except of linked media and added internal media locations. You need access to your old system. Then and only then, you can copy or move the Lightworks folder and all user defined internal media locations to the new system.

Edit: One exception: If you have recent project backups of all of your projects somewhere at a safe and accessible place, you can use these backups to restore your projects one by one.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How do I sync old videos with a new install? 4 months, 1 week ago #213518

• JimDaddyO
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Thanks. That's what I kind of figured. I am waiting for a mounting cage to put the HDD from the old computer into the new one. Hopefully I can access it then.

Re: How do I sync old videos with a new install? 3 months, 1 week ago #215142

• JimDaddyO
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
OK. Another question.

It took forever to get the cage so I could put the old hdd in the new computer. In the meantime, I installed LW and did some work editing and making videos.

With the old hdd in, and the new computer already having a "Lightworks" folder from the new install, can this still be done?

Thanks.

Re: How do I sync old videos with a new install? 3 months, 1 week ago #215144

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Not without risking inconsistencies on metadata level with unpredictable results. Merging project and media folder from two independent installations may cause name collision of the metadata files.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How do I sync old videos with a new install? 3 months, 1 week ago #215155

• JimDaddyO
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
OK, thank you. It's not of big importance in my situation anyway. More of a convenience thing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top