Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Directing Clip to Second Track

Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211259

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I've created a second track on my timeline (which is now called V1, original track is now called V2). I've marked off a section of time on the timeline (in/out points) and want to drop a clip of screen black into the new track (I'm going to crop that clip to block out a portion of the image). No matter what I try, the clip does not appear in the track. Is there a step-by-step guide to directing video (or audio) to a specific track?

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211275

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

You don't need necessarily black material and a DVE to hide a part of the frame underneath a rectangular shape. You can also use 'Simple 2D Shape' from category 'Matte'. I made a demo showing both:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211276

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hugly,

Thanks for that, will try that. Nevertheless, for the future, I need to know how to specify which track a clip will go into, and how to execute an insert/replace to do that. Thanks!

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211277

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
For your current use case, video on V2 and empty track on V1, you don't need to take any further action, as my video shows.

To direct material to the right track(s) you can enable/disable tracks on the timeline. You can toggle disable/enable tracks by clicking on the track names left hand side. The button 'All' toggles disable/enable all tracks. Holding down the right mouse button and clicking with the left enables the track and disables all others. There's also a context menu 'Track Commands.Select' which appears on a right click on a track name and there are keyboard shortcuts, press the keys 1, 2, 3, 4 and you'll see.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211292

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
You are thinking about the effects system as if it is layer based. It isn't. Once you get your head around the routing panel you will find effects much simpler. Here's a method to do what you need using Gr00by's Visual crop effect.

• First apply the visual crop effect to your video layer. You need only one layer to do this.
  • Open the routing panel and right click on the effect thumbnail.
  • From the drop down menu that appears choose "Cycle inputs" (see below).

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

• You will find that the crop centring is offset when used this way. If so, adjust the crop position faders until you see the edges of the crop.
  • In your sequence window click and drag the top left and the bottom right crop corner pins to achieve the crop that you want.

That will work reliably every time.

You can also achieve the same thing using a combination of a colour matte effect and any effect that will crop. In the example that follows I have used visual crop again because it's so easy, but a DVE will work just as well.

• Apply the Lightworks colour matte effect and choose the colour that you need. At this point you will only be able to see the matte.
  • Apply the effect that you're using for cropping. The image will still be the matte.
  • Open the routing panel and connect a line from the video layer directly to the Bg input (highlighted in the example below).

• Click and drag the top left and the bottom right crop corner pins to achieve the crop that you want.

The corner pin dragging will work in Visual crop (hence the name) but not necessarily in other cropping tools. For the corner pins to be visible you will need to be in VFX settings mode and to have your mouse hovering over the sequence window.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211295

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Also you need to be aware that the example shown in hugly's video won't apply to version 14.5. A simple 2D shape is opaque in that version, and you will need to do a few extra steps if you're using that.

• Apply the simple 2d shape effect
  • Add a blend effect
  • Set the white colour in the simple 2d shape to the colour that you need
  • Adjust the alpha value (A) in the simple 2d shape's second colour from 255 to 0
  • Set the shape type, X/Y position, width, height and softness as required

Bottom line: whichever way you go about it you will need to do some adjustment and potentially also some routing. My personal preference for this sort of thing is to use Visual crop, but as I always say, there's never just one way to do things in Lightworks.

(Actually that isn't quite true - I have a combination effect that I wrote myself that does this sort of thing all at once. I don't see much point in posting it though because the alternatives are so simple. There's even less point now with the imminent advent of 2020.1.)

Re: Directing Clip to Second Track 2 months, 1 week ago #211340

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for the help!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top