Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless?

How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210067

• nuclearjasper
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
So, currently I've been cutting out pieces of audio and sticking em back into a song to extend it slightly (looping my favourite pieces within the song). The issue is that the 0frame cuts arent exactly 0frame, and the transitions are bothersome to say the least. I've attempted to insert (tiny) crossfades, but that really just amplifies the problem. Is there a way to merge the audio clips into one segment again? Or better yet, use a function that automatically fine-tunes the cuts to eachother?
Thanks in advance!

PS: Attached an example of the audio cut; essentially, the editor seems to only want to make edits per frame, though, to get a seamless cut I'd rather need to make accurate adjustments per half-frame or more.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by nuclearjasper. Reason: Added information

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210068

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

You can't do sub frame edits in lightworks, you will have to use an audio editor like Audacity (which is free) for this type of work. Then import this into Lightworks.

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210083

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Short audio crossfades should do it, but it's a matter of precise positioning. Try slightly overlapping the audio by putting your second piece on another track, and giving each a crossfade, offset by a few frames.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210086

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
On the one hand I tend to agree with briandrys - a DAW is the preferable tool for precise audio loops.

On the other hand, it might be worth a try, because the temporal resolution of 33 ms @30 fps can be enough in many cases, even without crossfades and multiple tracks. The first step to success is setting 'Soft cut duration' to zero, because the current default values intoduce audible dropout on continuous sound.

Just made this little demo with 2020 beta, created in 10 minutes, no cross-fades, fades, level adjustments, SFX whatsoever, just two copies of a well selected segment and some slow motion on the video track.

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210096

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Another one, Elijah Wood drum cam with two loops - perhaps the loops are more obvious here. Same procedure, only cuts, no audio processing, 'Soft cut duration' set to zero.

OT: I have the impression that embedded AAC sounds better in preview with 2020 than with V14.5.

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210140

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
The first trick is to cut on the correct beat. If you're trying to place something cut on the 2nd beat at a cut on the 3rd beat, it will always sound off.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210162

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
arniepix wrote:
If you're trying to place something cut on the 2nd beat at a cut on the 3rd beat, it will always sound off.

At least, one may enter highly creative terrain very quickly:

Dear Mr. Bonham, please forgive me!

Re: How do I make an audio transition cut seamless? 7 months, 1 week ago #210266

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
For the sake of fun, I combined the two pieces from above, modified and added some loops and that's how it sounds.

Still, no audio processing, just hard cuts with soft cut duration set to zero. Basically it's all about finding the right spots to cut, not only with Lightworks and 33 ms temporal resolution, but also with any DAW with one millisecond or even below.

Edit: Since I've tried to use hard cuts only while keeping the music in time, there's one spike in one of the loops which would need a crossfade of one frame duration to fix, has anybody noticed it?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top