TOPIC: Media and Sequences offline

Media and Sequences offline 8 months, 1 week ago #209119

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Hello All,

Please, I need help here.
I enjoy using Flexible Lightworks. I created my first project for a short documentary that was saved into my C drive along with my imported clips through "Copy link". I didn't like that (saving a project and clips into my SSD, operating system drive). Frankly, I don't know which one is better, Copy Link, Copy Local or Transcode. So, I created another folder in my external hard drive (D) to work on that project. Everything went fine. Later on, I created another project for a second short doc, but I realized that Lightworks saved the Details of my new project into the same folder (location) as my previous project. Again, I didn't like that, so I decided to delete the Details from my SSD. Unfortunately, I got Media Offline on my first project. I was able to recover most of the clips (through Media\Repair), but I still have blank sequences (no picture, no sound). This past weekend, I looked for solutions in the forum and tried other fixes that I don't remember. Finally, I decide to submit this post. How can I get back my entire clips and sequences?
I will only be able to access Lightworks tonight after work. Have a wonderful day.

Thanks,

Stillman10

Re: Media and Sequences offline 8 months, 1 week ago #209122

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum,

I see you have been using Lightworks for several years.

I suspect you've already looked at this video several times?

Stillman10 wrote:
.. So, I created another folder in my external hard drive (D) to work on that project. Everything went fine..

Do you mean the media location managed by Lightworks, which can be set in the project settings, or do you mean the original files that you manually copy into there?

If media locations have been removed in the project settings without these folders (or their contents) being deleted, then this location can be reassigned in the project settings.
If multiple media locations are active in the project settings, then the location defined in the import settings (see Video) is used for importing new media (probably also for repairing). In the case of Create link, these are very small files with the link to the original file. If "Auto" is set in the import settings, then the last added media location seems to be used, but you shouldn't rely on that.

The repair feature creates new link files (see video) that are stored in the Lightworks-managed media location. This requires that your computer has access to the original files, which must have the same file name as when they were imported. Manually renamed original files cannot be repaired until they are renamed back to their original file names.

Lightworks up to 14.5 cannot play back original mp3 files (previously they were automatically transcoded during import). The repair feature does not transcode, so Lightworks 14.5 does not play automatically repaired mp3. If mp3 files are your problem, the new beta will probably be able to play them. However, the beta still has some strange problems, especially with some video formats, so it should be used with caution.

I also have some older projects where the repair of certain video media fails. A message appears saying that local media cannot be repaired. We would have to look at these cases in detail. Often the cause is that a broken link file already exists in the Lightworks media location. After deleting this faulty file, Automatic Repair often worked without an error message. But be careful: Always make copies before you manually change anything.

If you want to reorganize media in Lightworks media locations, Lightworks also offers functionality for this.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 8 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 8 months, 1 week ago #209332

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 months, 1 week ago
Thanks schrauber for your quick and useful reply.

Indeed, I watched the whole tutorial many times. And yes, I meant the media location managed by Lightworks. I'm pretty sure that I deleted manually the small files from my SSD. I also popped out the sequences out of curiosity while editing. But I'm not sure if that's the reason for them being blank now. Anyways, I will look at the situation again this weekend. Hopefully, I will fix it and move forward with my edits.
Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Stillman10

Re: Media and Sequences offline 6 months, 2 weeks ago #211661

• classical61
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Happened to me too. Almost all of my media was offline and the clips were white and would not show in preview when I was trying to re-edit later. Only thing that worked for me was to put all clips and title images back onto my desktop which is where they were while doing original edit. Program would not look for media in any other location even when I pointed it there. After putting it all back all media was online.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 6 months, 2 weeks ago #211667

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
That is definitely not expected behaviour. When you say "Program would not look for media in any other location even when I pointed it there" how did you do that? Relinking has always worked for me, and should have worked for you too.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 6 months, 2 weeks ago #211706

• classical615
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
The media was placed in a new folder within documents and used media relink option but it said cannot find media to relink. I've seen other posts where others had media offline error

Re: Media and Sequences offline 6 months, 2 weeks ago #211708

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
For media imported via create link, relinking media moved to different locations should work reliably.

What operating system and Lightworks version do you run?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Media and Sequences offline 4 months, 1 week ago #215246

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hello All,

I know in my last post I said I will take a look at my situation, but I put my edits away for a while. When I came back to it, all my projects were gone on the lwks homepage. I tried everything to open my projects, but nothing worked. I don't know if it's because I installed an antivirus or not. I'm stuck and I don't want to start over. Please help. Thanks a lot!

Re: Media and Sequences offline 4 months, 1 week ago #215248

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Stillman10 wrote:
all my projects were gone on the lwks homepage.

I'm not sure if i understand correctly what you describe.

Could you post a screenshot of what you're looking at?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Media and Sequences offline 4 months, 1 week ago #215282

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hello hugly,

Please find attached the screenshot.
Thank you.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by Stillman10. Reason: Trying another attachment

Re: Media and Sequences offline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216427

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your interest and for trying to help me out.
I thought maybe lwks archived my projects, so I tried to restore them, but each time, I got messages saying "The selected folder has been deleted or is not currently available".
I'm pretty sure there is a solution for this types of issues. I just need to find it. If not, I will have to redo my projects from scratch.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216434

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Stillman10 wrote:
.. I thought maybe lwks archived my projects, ..

Automatic backups save only certain contents of existing projects (e.g. sequences). But this can only work if the project still exists. Unfortunately there are no projects according to your screenshot.
Backups of whole projects are only created by Lightworks if the user initiates this manually. If you have a manual project backup, you can restore a project with it.

If Lightworks has its own folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks
is not found (e.g. because it has been renamed), Lightworks usually creates a new empty folder. Then there are no projects available. If the original folder still exists completely, or the operating system has made backups, the file path can be restored.
Since you have a Pro license, which to my knowledge has options to manage the Lightworks folder in other paths and drives, maybe changed configurations could be a cause?
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216437

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
You are right. When I started working on my projects, I changed their locations from the C drive to my external drive. I just tried to restore the projects through the Lightworks folder in the (C:\) drive that you mentioned. I tried the Media folder as well as the Projects folder, but nothing happened.
I guess I learned something very important: better keep your default projects location if you don't save them manually.
Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Stillman10.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216478

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
As mentioned above, Lightworks sometimes creates new empty folders if it cannot find the original folders. This can cause you to have different versions on different drives after moving them.
Experimental repair attempts are not recommended.

First of all I would recommend to get an overview of whether there are different Lightworks folders or subfolders at the different locations, and which and how many subfolders they contain. Also an overview of the configuration set in Lightworks is important.

As a free user I have no experience with managing project locations, but if you know in detail which folders you have where, which folders contain projects, and which folders are maybe only automatically created folders, then maybe an experienced Pro user could help you. Screenshots of the contents of your folders in the different locations and the Lightworks configurations might help?
Last Edit: 3 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Media and Sequences offline 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216570

• Stillman10
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Sorry to reply back to you just now. I'm not feeling too well. I will attached the screenshots in my next reply, but before I'd like to know where to find the Lightworks configurations. Thanks a lot!
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top