• Page:

TOPIC: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD

How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204593

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I am using Linux, I have idea if this works on Windoze. Maybe on a Mac

Make sure you have NO projects on the go before trying this!!!

My ./home dir is quite small so I added a second HDD to it for Lightworks.

I labelled it as audiovisual and mounted it as /home/jpb/audiovisual/.

1) Create a folder on the drive, I use Projects, create a sub folder for the projects eg. videoedit

2) Start Lightworks click on the cogs and go to Project Spaces > Manage

3) Go to Private and select the location you want my case “/home/jpb/audiovisual/Projects/videoedit/”

4) Quit Lightworks.

5) Go to the Private workspace folder created above and open the text DefNetDrive.txt

6) Edit the line if you want to change the location of the Media folder. By default it is at ./Lightworks/.

My home dir is too small to accommodate all the media files generated so I moved the folder to the audiovisual folder. So correct the location “/home/jpb/audiovisual/Media/”

Two sub folders will be created in the Media folder, Material and Sound. The original Material folder has 4 sub folders Material, Sound. Index and Temp the last two are not created. Lightworks still uses the original ones, the .lvix index files is only 256 bytes.

so far it seems to work for me.

RWAV wrote:
Ability to define project space locations is a Pro Licence and therefore EDU Licence feature in all OS versions.

It is not available in LW Free.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.5, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Jpaulbiss.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204595

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Ability to define project space locations is a Pro Licence and therefore EDU Licence feature in all OS versions.

BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204596

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
May I point out that this method will work as described only with the Pro version.

Users of the Free version have no option to manage project spaces. They have only the local project space on the default locations, on Linux and OSX that's ' ~/Lightworks '.

What works with all versions (and on all platforms) are symlinks (junctions on Windows), created on OS level. A symlink from ~/Lightworks on Linux/OSX to any location allows moving all assets, not only projects and internal media space, to a new location, e.g. on a a new hard drive.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204597

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:

I'll add that.
Thanks
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.5, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204598

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Thanks
I have I totally forgot about the limitations on the free version. Just more reason to quit smoking for a week and buy the pro version.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204599

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
That's a good idea - here a pack of 25 cigarettes is on the increase to about AUD $35

LW Pro costs AUD $640 that's less than 20 packs - a bargain - though one would live longer so that's an additional expense.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204607

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:
That's a good idea - here a pack of 25 cigarettes is on the increase to about AUD $35

LW Pro costs AUD $640 that's less than 20 packs - a bargain - though one would live longer so that's an additional expense.

At the rate I was smoking when I quit that would have been about 10 days supply. i tried everything for about a year to quit. The gum, acupuncture, filters; one morning I woke up and asked my wife if she would still love me if I was fat. YES! So I did, cold turkey. Gained 25 kilos, started to look like the Pillsbury dough boy. That good Bavarian Wheat Beer. Prost.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204610

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Jpaulbiss wrote:
5) Go to the Private workspace folder created above and open the text DefNetDrive.txt

6) Edit the line if you want to change the location of the Media folder. By default it is at ./Lightworks/.

That's correct.
The advantage of working on this folder is that you can also see media locations to which Lightworks currently has no access.

However, the usual workflow is to change the media location in the project settings.
It is also possible to set up multiple media locations, which Lightworks can manage in parallel, but then the import settings must be observed.
Moving media (or link files) can also be done in the project content, selectively for the selected media. (Clip filter, right mouse button > Media > Move to). Please do not confuse with the other "Move to" that moves the clip items to other projects.

Media locations can also be managed with the free license, the location of the smaller project files cannot.

Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204614

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Thanks for the link to the video. This is really a help forum.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204615

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Stoppit! It hurts!

The memory of Franziskaner Weissbier and the best suckling pork imaginable (apologies to all abstainers) at the Franziskaner restaurant in Munich, indulged through the recommendation and generosity of a colleague at Bavaria Studios, is painful in abstinence.

Back to LW - really it is best to avoid computer based manipulation where instead LW provides the necessary management tools and importantly keeps track of a user's every wish and command.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by RWAV.

Re: How to setup Light works to use a different HDD 1 month, 1 week ago #204617

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
RWAV wrote:
Stoppit! It hurts!

The memory of Franziskaner Weissbier and the best suckling pork imaginable (apologies to all abstainers) at the Franziskaner restaurant in Munich, indulged through the recommendation and generosity of a colleague at Bavaria Studios, is painful in abstinence.

I know. lived 21 years south of Munich. Here in Canada a brown water is sold as beer. That Franziskaner Weissbier and Erdinger Weissbier

Back to LW - really it is best to avoid computer based manipulation where instead LW provides the necessary management tools and importantly keeps track of a user's every wish and command.

I totally forgot about the video until Schrauber mentioned it
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by Jpaulbiss.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top