Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer?

What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197287

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hey guys, new to Lightworks here and I have a major problem. My computer has about 16 GB of RAM yet Lightworks has a nasty tendency to eat it all up. I have actually had to restart my computer on several occasions. How do I minimize the amount of RAM Lightworks is using?
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by Eboreg2.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197288

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

Please could you supply a more detailed spec of your computer and info on the video you are editing on it eg codec and format.

Also. could you make a zip file of the error log. In Windows it's found in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Logs

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197289

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Could you post your computer details, including Lightworks/version and OS/version and a mediainfo report of typical footage you use, please? Here you'll find instructions:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197290

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I use Lightworks x64 v14.5.0.0 on Windows 7

as for MediaInfo on a particular (problematic) video I'm editing:
General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Robert\Pictures\Explosions\Explosion Sequence 2.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
File size                                : 221 KiB
Duration                                 : 620 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 2 919 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.26.101

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : JPEG
Codec ID                                 : MJPG
Duration                                 : 560 ms
Bit rate                                 : 2 679 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.116
Stream size                              : 183 KiB (83%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : ADPCM
Codec ID                                 : 2
Duration                                 : 620 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 4 bits
Stream size                              : 27.0 KiB (12%)
Interleave, duration                     : 21  ms (0.52 video frame)

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197295

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thanks.

Mediainfo shows MJPEG which is a supported video format, unfortunately combined with ADPCM audio, which isn't supported (as it stands now, V14.5).

If there aren't other hidden issues, the most straight forward way to create an importable format would be remuxing the video stream with audio converted to PCM, with ffmpeg for example.

However, I can't imagine that this issue is the cause for memory leaks and crashes.

Edit: If you're familiar with ffmpeg, this would be a suitable template:

ffmpeg -i "<input>" -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -y "<output>".mov
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197303

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
So after trying your suggestion, I can proudly report that Lightworks no longer crashes my computer.

But it does come awfully close on multiple occasions. Is there anything else I can do to cut down on memory usage?

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197305

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
720p MJPEG format doesn't explain high memory usage. It must have another cause, maybe related to effects. Hard to say without seeing what you're doing?

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197306

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
The only effects I'm using on the problematic clips are 2d DVE and Greenscreen. I am, however, using the same clip multiple times among several video tracks.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197307

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Can you make a screenshot of your timeline?

Does memory usage increase by several GB at the critical timeline position, or do you generally have high memory usage?

If you use green screen, then there will be other material at the timeline position (green screen image or green screen video)? Or is "Explosion Sequence 2.avi" the Geenscreen material?

I only have 8 GB, and Lightworks usually only uses part of it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197308

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Well, according to my task manager, Lightworks isn't even taking up an overbearing amount of memory but for some reason, whenever it's up, I can run memory usage in excess of 90%. Also, I can't really keep tabs on individual memory usage or take a screenshot of the timeline due to excessive amounts of slowdowns but I can tell you that all of the slowdowns happen when I'm messing with "Explosion Sequence 2" or its counterpart "Explosion Sequence". Lastly, I don't don't what you mean by "Greenscreen material" but the explosion sequences do have a green background.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197310

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Eboreg2 wrote:
... Also, I can't really keep tabs on individual memory usage ..
Can you keep an eye on the total memory usage?

Eboreg2 wrote:
.. or take a screenshot of the timeline due to excessive amounts of slowdowns ..

I mean a screenshot when playback is stopped that shows us the tracks and segments especially the critical section of the timeline.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197334

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Memory usage seems to be light until I actually try to render the problematic part, which I've attached a screenshot of.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197335

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank you.

You have over 100 effects in the V7 segemnt!
Did this amount of effects inadvertently increase as much as you might have tried copying effects?
If you only need 2 of these effects, then please delete the unneeded ones.

What is the reason for the variety of "Explosion Sequence" segments in multiple tracks?
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197336

• Eboreg2
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
schrauber wrote:
Thank you.

You have over 100 effects in the V7 segemnt!
Did this amount of effects inadvertently increase as much as you might have tried copying effects?
If you only need 2 of these effects, then please delete the unneeded ones.

Uh, no. That amount of effects is deliberate. I'm using a large amount of "Image Keys" due to the nature of the project.

What is the reason for the variety of "Explosion Sequence" segments in multiple tracks?

It's actually a rather small video that I plan to repeat in multiple places with the larger video.

Re: What's the best set-up to make sure Lightworks doesn't crash my computer? 3 months, 1 week ago #197337

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
V7:
Eboreg2 wrote:
Uh, no. That amount of effects is deliberate. I'm using a large amount of "Image Keys" due to the nature of the project.
So about 50 different image at the same time?
This creates an extremely high system load (also depending on the dimensions of the image and more).
Should really so many different pictures be visible at the same time, reduced in size, or change the pictures (keyframing?) ?

V1 to V6:
Eboreg2 wrote:
It's actually a rather small video that I plan to repeat in multiple places with the larger video.

Are you saying that the segments in track V2 to V6 have no function at this position, but you want to move these segments to another position at a later time?
For this Lightworks offers some better possibilities.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top