Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip

Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192485

Hello,

I've been using Lightworks for just over a month now but still learning a lot as I go along. I've come across an issue that I haven't been able to find an answer for online.

I'm working on a project that should end up being 16:9, but I have an individual clip that I need to adjust the aspect ratio for. Unfortunately the clip I was recording was from a 90s video game and my PC stretched it to 16:9. However the original cutscene itself was already 16:9 with black bars to fit onto a 4:3 screen. What I've ended up with is a stretched letterbox video.

What I would like to do is unstretch the video and then remove the black bars above, below and to the sides. This'll leave me with a 16:9 clip with no black bars that'll fit in with the rest of the project.

Is there any way to make these adjustments to a single clip? I've found settings where I can change to project aspect ratio to 4:3 and remove black bars, but this is going to affect the rest of the project which is something I do not want.

Can anyone offer advice or do I just need to go the long way around and render that individual clip into a new video with the changes and then reinsert it into my project?

Thank you for your help.

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192486

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Welcome to the forum.

The DVE should do what you require. You can adjust for any squeezing and the size of the image.

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192487

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Hello,

To compensate for horizontal stretching only (which is what Lightworks applies on import when changing aspect ratio), use "Scale.X" parameter of 2D-DVE. To calculate precise values you can use this formula for 16:9 output format:

Scale.X = 9 / 16 * X-res / Y-res  (with X/Y-res: resolution of the source in pixels in X/Y direction)

For example with 640x480 source: Scale.X = 9 / 16 * 640 / 480 = 0.75

If there are still black bars on top and bottom or left and right, then those are part of the video content. Use "Scale.Master" to remove those after unstretching.

Edit: Corrected the calculation. It calculated 1/Scale.X (the factor to stretch, instead of to squeeze).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 3 days ago #192502

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Not a LW Fixed layout user so not sure but probably
you will need to open in Flexible layout to do this. (right click on empty space in ther project browser page select Project layout from the drop down - select flexible - then open project)

Open the subject clip on the desktop
Open the clip's timeline
Right click on that timeline
Select Effects
Select 2D DVE and adjust as required
about 99.9% chance one can make the adjustment by eye - no need to drag out the slide-rule for this one - sounds like a simple zoom up to fill frame.

That DVE setting is now embedded in the clip - each time it is used it is automatically applied.

In the attached screen grab the original was a PAL 4:3 clip -

It is always worth checking one's Video Displaying narrow as wide/Displaying wide as narrow settings (Main Project tab top left of screen under Video settings)Generally they should both be 'Full frame' - just to make sure one is not battling against LW's inbuilt adjustments.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 3 days ago #192503

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Or you could just use Anamorphic tools. Set the aspect ratio to "1.33:1 (SD 4:3)" and the frame format to either "Full frame input" or "Squeezed and boxed" depending on your needs and you should be good to go.

And if you wish you also have the ability to zoom and reposition in that effect too. If you've never installed any custom effects before you'll find instructions in CUSTOM EFFECTS INSTALLATION.

Re: Changing the aspect ratio of an individual clip 2 weeks, 3 days ago #192507

Thank you all for your fast replies.

It was very easy to fix using 2D DVE.

Thanks again.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top