Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?.

Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19127

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
I've got:

Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS
8gbs Ram
Win 7(64)

I'm importing an MP4 640x360 file (8bit AVC 30fps). When I go to play it, it will play the first second or two, then the video will freeze while the audio continues. Are my specs too low? I'm coming from windows live movie maker so I'm no pro. All I wanted to do is add a watermark and someone recommended lightworks. It looks like I'll be able to do that any way without the need to play the clip in lightworks, though my last attempt at encoding it with my added watermark was going to take over an hour for a 12.5 minute clip (is that normal?) so I abandoned it and looked around to see if I was doing something wrong. Maybe it's just my hardware.

From the tuts I've watched, I like lightworks and if I can get it working properly, I think I'd like to switch completely to using it.

One other question I have is: So the file is 640x360 but the players inside lightworks play it much smaller. Is there a way to have them play it at the original size?

cheers.

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19129

• sethkersey
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
This is most likely the cause of the long GOP of the video. Try transcoding to MP2 I-Frame, it should help your playback issues.

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19130

• Frank_the_Tank
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
Yeah I noticed that transcoding to that MPEG I frame format made the scrubbing really smooth. And I'm on a 32 bit Windows XP with 3gig RAM, and a 6600GT NVIDIA card.

Not sure on the player size but have you checked the project settings to see that your format in the playback viewer matches the source footage. You can also click on the settings button on the viewer where your video is and toggle between large medium and small. Maybe that's just the preview window though?

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19135

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
This is most likely the cause of the long GOP of the video. Try transcoding to MP2 I-Frame, it should help your playback issues.

Can you advise me on what tool I would use to do that? I'm not familiar with what 'long GOP' means.

The file was originally a .wmv (windows live movie maker) which I transcoded into an MP4 using handbrake. Should I be able to transcode to MP2 I-frame in handbrake if I set the options correctly or do I need something else?

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19136

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
Not sure on the player size but have you checked the project settings to see that your format in the playback viewer matches the source footage. You can also click on the settings button on the viewer where your video is and toggle between large medium and small. Maybe that's just the preview window though?

If you look at this screenshot compilation I took, the last image is how the video looks in media player classic. It's a 640*360 video.

img190.imageshack.us/img190/9194/lightworkssizedifferenc.jpg

The top three images are what the video looks like in lightworks at the three available options, normal, medium and big. (their dimensions listed are a rough estimate)

In the project settings under 'video', I've set the the format to NTSC 16:9. That's the only option I see to match the settings to the source footage. Is there something I'm missing?
Last Edit: 6 years, 3 months ago by myso.

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19137

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
Hi,
The monitor size in Lightworks is for preview purposes, it doesn't affect your exported movie.

You can convert (transcode) your sources to MPEG I Frame during import; do the following:
when the import panel launches with your sources loaded, under the "Video Encoding" row, click to select your import strategy, and then on "Transcode" and MPEG I Frame

At the upper left corner of your LW desktop, click on your project's name to display your project card. At the video tab, you can set up your project.

And finally, to export your edit, drag the export tool to your timeline and choose a format compliant with your project settings.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19146

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
You can convert (transcode) your sources to MPEG I Frame during import; do the following:
when the import panel launches with your sources loaded, under the "Video Encoding" row, click to select your import strategy, and then on "Transcode" and MPEG I Frame

Thanks, I'm doing that now. Current estimated time it will take is 2hrs. For a 12.5 minute clip, Is that normal?

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19148

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
It depends on several factors: CPU, RAM, graphics card, HDD speed, and also on the properties of the source files, so I can' t really know.
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19150

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
I've got:

Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS
8gbs Ram
Win 7(64)
Lightworks is installed on an SSD and my storage drive is a 2x2TB Samsung HD204UI SATA 3.0GPS raid config with a speed of 5,400RPM

This is the file info:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 80.6 MiB
Duration : 12mn 42s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 887 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2012-02-09 03:24:43
Tagged date : UTC 2012-02-09 03:31:21
Writing application : HandBrake 0.9.5 2011010300

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 12mn 41s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 734 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Minimum frame rate : 29.412 fps
Maximum frame rate : 1 000.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.106
Stream size : 66.7 MiB (83%)
Writing library : x264 core 112
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111
Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 12mn 42s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 144 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 231 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 13.2 MiB (16%)

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19151

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
I'm not an expert on this matter, but at first glance, it seems that 5400 RPM is a little slow for that kind of tasks.
I can see that your source is 640*360, which is not a standard resolution, so your video is being transcoded and also resized to a resolution supported by the Matrox MPEG i Frame (probably 720*480)

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19152

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
I stopped it so. It was taking to long.

Instead, I went back into handbrake and noticed an option to transcode my wmv file to MPEG-4(ffmpeg)instead of H.264(x264)which was what it was previously.

This new MP4 file seems to play smoothly so maybe this is the way to go.

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19153

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to export it now.

I'm choosing 'quicktime', straight transfer, compression:DV/DVCAM

And I get the error:

Internal Error: Failed to initialize rendering engine! Export Error.

Is there a fix?

I would like to get an mp4 out but I guess that's not possible. I tried to export an avi but it crashed. What's the quickest and easiest way to get a file out. It's just for going up on youtube.

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19155

• syndic3d
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
"The file was originally a .wmv (windows live movie maker) which I transcoded into an MP4 using handbrake. "

@myso If your original video resolution has been 640 by 360 and from looking at the picture samples of the lightworks size difference, the pics of the video seems a bit squished vertically. The people in the video look squished.

@frandesouza was right when he suggested to convert your source video from 640 by 360 to a supported resolution supported by the Matrox Mpeg I-Frame codec.

Can you do another conversion of your original video (wmv) just to test it out. Can you try to set the video at 640 by 480 resolution and convert it to an AVI (Mpeg I-Frame or DVCPRO), instead of MP4?
You need to convert it into a file format that the current Lightworks beta can accept. Currently Lightworks doesn't accept MP4 (H.264 AVC).

Once this is done, can you import it into Lightworks with setting of NTSC 4:3?

If everything is alright, can you try a test export as AVI (DVCPRO) with NTSC 4:3?

FYI: I believe long GOP refers to "Group of Pictures."

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19156

• myso
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
Can you try to set the video at 640 by 480 resolution and convert it to an AVI (Mpeg I-Frame or DVCPRO), instead of MP4?

I can try. Do have any suggestions of some software that will allow me to convert a .wmv to an AVI (Mpeg I-Frame or DVCPRO)?

Re: Playing a video import is choppy in lightworks. Are my specs too low to run it?. 6 years, 3 months ago #19157

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
You can use VirtualDub with the wmv plugin.
read this:
www.videohelp.com/tools/Virtualdub-MPEG2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top