Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue?

Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185295

• Pete_N
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Good [after] morning LightWorkers...

I have placed a number of cues along my timeline.

I have done some editing that caused everything to move to the right, leaving all my cues 'ahead-of-time'. Please refer to the attached screen grab. The yellow cue marker should be at the cut where the PH is.

Not wanting to re-write all my cues, Is there some way of changing the timecode for these cues by entering the timecode of the place where they should now be?

My thanks in advance,

Pete_N
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185303

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

That's indeed an idea for a feature request, in particular if one has invested time in tagging the cues.

If it's of any help for you, with "Export to text file.." from context menu of Cue Markers panel you can save the list of cue markers to a .csv-file (format: Time,Name,Description).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185304

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
That's indeed an idea for a feature request, in particular if one has invested time in tagging the cues.

An old Feature Requests: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=141808&Itemid=81#141808

There are other workflows with other Cue:
Pete_N wrote:
I have placed a number of cues along my timeline.

It is important in which timeline / object you are placing the cue.
What do you want to mark with the Cue?

If you want to mark / describe certain frames of the source Clip, then you should not place the cue in the Sequence timeline, but directly in the source ("clip viewer" or subclip, etc.).

Once the sources have been inserted into your sequence timeline, you can also enable the appearance of this "clip cue" in the sequence timeline. These "clip cues" are automatically repositioned in the Sequence timeline when the segments are moved on the timeline (Lightworks 14.5).
Any questions about using Clip-Cue?

Sequence cues inserted into the sequence timeline refer to the timing of the result, not the timing of the sources.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185306

• Pete_N
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Good [after] morning schrauber,
Ah.. I've learned something else today! I've been learning plenty in the last few weeks.

That's precisely where I wish to place most my cues: in the source clips. They are used to pinpoint certain parts of a sports game. I've been placing all my cues in the timeline and these move when I do slow motion replays of parts of the game action.

I'm going to try placing them in the source clips next time - can this be done when the clip is already in the timeline?.. or must this be done while the clip is still in the bin, whilst using a preview window?

(I don't want to 'touch anything' at the moment as I'm exporting my first ever completed video to MP4 - at 5:00 AM, after staying awake all night changing things due to upgrading to the latest Release Candidate !) I'm just sitting here watching the export progress bar.. and nodding off to sleep.

My thanks again for your help schrauber, Have a great day.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185308

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Pete_N wrote:
... I'm going to try placing them in the source clips next time - can this be done when the clip is already in the timeline?...

Yes, you can do that.
Whether the clip cue appears in the sequence timeline depends on the cue list / cue panel settings of the sequence:

- Open the cue list of the sequence (do not confuse it with the cue list of the clips).
- Position the mouse in the list.
- Click right mouse button
- Activate "Show clip cues"
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Edit:
There are some cases where the clip cue in the sequence is not updated immediately. In these cases, you can force the update by disabling and re-enabling "Show-clip cue".
It works faster by pressing the shortcut "Join" (default: Tab key) once or twice (timeline update, assuming "Show-clip cue" is active).

If you want to move a segment with the mouse, it may be better to select a trim feature, as it will automatically update the clip cue positions in real time.

It works in both layouts, but the flexible layout has the advantage of being able to open real timelines of your clips and zoom in on them to better distinguish Cues.
Therefore, you can position "Clip Cue" according to the audio waveform in the flexible layout.

All these tips are for Lightworks 14.5
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185309

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Nevertheless, I would find it helpful if we could also move the cue position manually.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185329

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
schrauber wrote:
Nevertheless, I would find it helpful if we could also move the cue position manually.

Yes, me too.

I wonder why it's possible to save, but not to load a text file for cue markers and, I haven't tested it recently, but I'm astonished that clip cues are still not properly updated in recorder timeline.
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185341

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Perhaps the easiest way to place a source clip cue while working in an edit is to
- press the 'pop out the original' to the desktop key
- press the 'make cue' key
return to the edit.

Here I have just tested with an edit and timeline open and the playhead on the position for the cue.

Also on screen are tiles and timeliness of the original clip and of two other edits containing the same clip the clip but zoomed differently and with their playhead not on the subject clip.

I pop out the original immediately press the 'cue' command and all four timelines onscreen show the cue - immediately. Astonishing really!

Will test it later but I have a vague memory of there being some latency when doing the same with a subclip as the source - but it is correct when the cue marks so appear.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185416

• Pete_N
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Good [after] morning RWAV,
Okay... That works perfectly!
I just place the PH on the timeline where I want the cue marker;
Press 'n' key to 'pop out the original' and open the displayed clip in a preview window;
Press the <'> key to create a marker cue, name it etc;
Close the preview and 'current' selection area (I know I have the wrong name for it, lol);
Marker cue is now placed on the clip and moves around when the clip does. The marker cue needs to be edited or deleted from the 'popped out original' area (from the clip).
Thank you kindly!

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185417

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
As known since V14.0 release, they move but not always, as mentioned by schrauber earlier.

Before making decisions based on clip cues in recorder timeline, I'd suggest switching "Show clip cues" OFF and ON (see schrauber's screenshot and explanation), just in case the update issue shouldn't be fixed with V14.5.

.. But, your main problem remains the same, you have to redo them all.
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185419

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Actually he said that the move doesn't always show immediately. It happens, but the timeline may not always update at once. It appears to be a function of the complexity of the timeline. Once the timeline has been updated/rewritten, the true position of the cue will be shown. And if you try and jump to the cue in its new position it will be correct, displayed or not.

That display issue appears to be similar behaviour to what can happen with the audio waveform display.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185420

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Ahhhh, I don't know what you're working on and what functions you use when editing, but clip cues on recorder timeline seem to be still not reliable. I wouldn't use them, as it stands now.

Just one example: With RC13 in Flexible layout, insert a clip with three clip cues into empty space of timeline, enable clip cues, move the segment with the mouse, clip cues don't move, disable/enable clip cues and voila, you see 6 clip cues. Just forget it, or work with it and report all issue you're encountering.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185425

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
There are timeline actions that trigger an update, but also those that do not. In very old betas, this was reported, much has been fixed, but not everything.

In addition: After a project restart, a previously active "Show clip cues" is deactivated in the fixed layout. Assuming that the fixed layout is optimized for projects with low complexity, this reset to default settings may be appropriate?

... Before making decisions based on clip cues in recorder timeline, I'd suggest switching "Show clip cues" OFF and ON (see schrauber's screenshot and explanation)...

If it is just about triggering timeline update (no update of sequence cue panel timecode):
schrauber wrote:

... It works faster by pressing the shortcut "Join" (default: Tab key) once or twice (timeline update, assuming "Show-clip cue" is active)...
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber. Reason: Unintentional change rectified

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185426

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Pete_N wrote:
... The marker cue needs to be edited or deleted from the 'popped out original' area (from the clip)...

I do not know if I misunderstood you, but if you delete the cue from the clip, then this "clip-cue" is also removed from the associated sequence timeline.

Edit: Or did you unintentionally create a "Range Cue" because the "Popp out original" automatically generated Mark In & Mark Out in the Clip?
Do you know the functionality of Range Cue?
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 11 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Is it possible to change the timecode of an existing cue? 11 months, 2 weeks ago #185430

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 2 weeks ago
and open the displayed clip in a preview window
Pete_N - One does not even need to do that - simply execute the 'cue' command while the tile has focus - one does not need to open the tile into a viewer.

(be aware AFAIK the default pop-out-original behaviour is to open the popped clip in a content manager window - personally I find that unworkable and always modify the confog.dat file as follows.
# By default, popped out tiles are revealed in the Content Manager. Change to 0 to reveal them on the desktop instead.
reveal_tiles_in_bins 0

An alternative, if working with a mouse, is rather than just clicking on the pop-out icon on an edit viewer hold the left-mouse on the icon and drag it onto the desktop)

if you delete the cue from the clip, then this "clip-cue" is also removed from the associated sequence timeline
Of course it does - it is after all a 'clip cue'

I have no latency at all when adding clips cues to popped out clips - as per my previous post

"Also on screen are tiles and timeliness of the original clip and of two other edits containing the same clip the clip but zoomed differently and with their playhead not on the subject clip.

I pop out the original immediately press the 'cue' command and all four timelines onscreen show the cue - immediately. Astonishing really!
"

And further I failed to mention that if I hover the mouse over one of those other tiles - then the cue is there on tile clip timeline display - or if the sundry other instances are as viewers the clip cue appears on the clip timeline display also.

Other than testing and confirming this with a sub-clip, which I have not yet done, here the statement "but clip cues on recorder timeline seem to be still not reliable" is wrong.

If what I see is not happening on users computers when working with clips in an edit timelline I might suggest running some computer health checks may be a prudent course of action.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top