• Page:

TOPIC: Alternatives to 'Save As'?

Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184052

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • Narratives in a Digital Age.
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
When working on client projects, I sometimes offer alternate takes or versions of edits. Generally, I will work on a project and do a 'save as' and name it 'edit a' and then further edit, label 'edit b' and so on.

Since there is no 'save' in Lightworks, nor 'Save As', what is the easiest way to take my edits and save them as different versions without rebuilding each time?
Narratives in a Digital Age.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184053

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Copy them. Right click on the edit viewer and select Make > Copy. Put the copy somewhere safe and continue working.

[EDIT] The menu that you see will look like this.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In "Flexible" mode you can also use the copy icon on the viewer. See below.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184054

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Personally,I use copies of sequences or exported archives to organize version. After one version is finished i make a copy of the master sequence and rename it before exporting. This creates an exported version with a directly related sequence by name. Then, I continue with the next version on the master sequence. If there are many versions or groups of versions, you can organize the copies in bins.

Alternatively you can export an archive from export panel or make a project backup from project card "Project.Details.Make Backup". If media stay in place there's no need to include media in those archives/backups which makes the process very fast and the resulting folder structure small.

Of course you can combine both methods for higher safety.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184055

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I just tried this, but there does not seems to be a way to name it, such as 'Cut A', so I can go back and restore the project when I am done and use that for another cut. Further, when I hit 'copy' on make-->copy over the viewer, nothing useful pops up to let me change the name and store that file in a desired place.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184056

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I have edited my post to include screen grabs. Does that help?

Once you have made your copy you can rename it by clicking on the title and typing the new name.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184057

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Hugly, I just saw your comment, I will go back and try an 'export archive', which I am guessing is an Edit Decision List (EDL)? So export an EDL/XML and name it something and then open new project and import the EDL/XML?

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184059

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Just to clarify, same as jwrl, I recommend using copies of sequences, because it's the fastest method to create and to reveal versions.

An exported archive, same as a project backup, isn't a standardized interchange format (which are highly restricted), it is a partial copy of the internal data structure used by Lightworks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184060

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
No it isn't. It's a backup. Use the copy process, which has worked reliably for me and other professional editors for over a quarter of a century.

[EDIT] and hugly and I posted simultaneously.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184062

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
I was indoctrinated in Adobe PP (which has 'save as') starting in 2013 at school and it wasn't until I graduated that I found Lightworks. Resolve and others have a 'save as' and the 'Lightworks way' is sort of new to me.

Okay, jwrl, what you are saying is to hover the mouse over the viewer, right click, toggle to 'make' and then select 'copy'. To the left where my clips folders are, I get 'Sequence #1 (copy)'. I am guessing I can drag that to a bin which I can label, "Alternate Edits" and then slice and dice as I see fit. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for your patience.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184063

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
You certainly can. And of course you can name it anything like, and if necessary, also put it in multiple bins. Lightworks is very flexible that way, although with that flexibility comes the need for a disciplined workflow.

Talking of flexibility, in the flexible user interface Lightworks also provides edit rooms. Rooms can be regarded as individual workspaces which can be populated with as little or as much of the content in your project. That can be handy when you're doing cutdowns, when you have an assistant who needs their own working environment, or when you use different layouts for different tasks.

Re: Alternatives to 'Save As'? 2 months, 1 week ago #184064

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 1 week ago
Follow on from my previous post: if you've come from a Premiere background you will doubtless be more comfortable using drag and drop. I strongly recommend getting your head around the mark and park technique that Lightworks was designed around all those years ago. It's faster and more precise.

For example, what I do when I'm assembling a rough cut is not create a new sequence at all. Instead I park on my first clip where I want to pick it up and press the "b" key. (Actually, that's a lie. I press the "Replace" button on my console). That creates a new sequence starting from where I've parked on the first clip.

In that new sequence I go to where I want to cut to my next clip and park. I then find the point on the second clip that I want to start and park then hit replace again. There is now a cut between the two clips in the sequence. Repeat as required.

A l-o-o-o-t faster than drag and drop, wouldn't you say? If you do that, just remember to name the sequence something meaningful.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top