Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version?

How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184037

• usancristobal
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hi!
I has been working with Lightworks 14.0 for a couple of years. I used to import all files via copy local option.
Now I am moving my projects to a new computer with 14.5 version and I would like to know how to convert copy local to links.
Thanks in advance for your patience!

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184042

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I've split this into it's own thread because the thread you posted to was over 7 years old and for a version of Lightworks that's no longer supported.

That said, where are your files stored on the old computer? Are they on an external drive? If so, you should be able to relink them easily when you open your old project on the new computer.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184043

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hello,

You invoked a truly ancient thread.

As far as I know, the only officially supported procedure to replace media imported via transcode or copy local by linked media is still re-importing with create link from another location but with unchanged name.extension and to replace with Find clips to fill sequence".

Why not moving all existing media locations of internal Lightworks media space to the new computer and adding them there to Media Locations accordingly?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184046

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
usancristobal wrote:
... Now I am moving my projects to a new computer with 14.5 version and I would like to know how to convert copy local to links.

Welcome to the forum.
With Lightworks 14.5 there are new possibilities.
However, there are likely to be risks, so you should first create project backups with local media. However, you will need these backups anyway if you want to transfer your projects to a new computer.

I would therefore suggest first transferring all projects to the new computer with the local copies.
If everything works, then you can experiment.
Select the clips in the project content and choose Delete.
Then you will be asked by LWKS14.5, what should be deleted.
Select "Video / audio", that will delete the associated Local Media.
Do not delete the clip itself.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

After that, the clips will be offline.

Place the mouse in an empty area between the offline clips in the project content, right-click, select Media, Repair ...
After confirming some hints, the clips should be online, and in the media folder the previously deleted media copies have been replaced by links.

But there may also be cases in which the repair does not work.
Even mp3 files can be problematic because they were automatically converted during import.
In this case, a project backup with local media can restore the original state.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184047

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Schrauber,

I'me aware of this function of repair, that's why I stated "officially" above. Are you sure that this function is stable and reliable?

Personally, I wouldn't suggest using undocumented functions to migrate a system.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184050

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
Are you sure that this function is stable and reliable?

It was just an attempt to answer a question, not a recommendation.

schrauber wrote:

... risks, so you should first create project backups with local media....

But there may also be cases in which the repair does not work.
Even mp3 files can be problematic because they were automatically converted during import...

Of course, if the original file or an originally imported converted intermediate version has already been deleted, the process would damage the project.

User "usancristobal" should not use this procedure on the original computer in order to still be able to access working projects there.
The experimental method is therefore unsuitable for reducing the amount of data to be transferred.

If the Lightworks media folder is in an external location, make sure that the computer that is performing the experimental procedure does not have access to that media location, but only a copy of it. This is to ensure that the original computer can still access the copied media.

Knowledge of manual project backups and their media options are also important.

All this raises the question of meaningfulness.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: How to convert copy local to links in 14.5 version? 1 month, 1 week ago #184058

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Thank you for the detailed answer.

I think it would be helpful in some cases to be able to switch between linked and copied (or even transcoded) media but, in my view the procedure must be rock solid for all formats, backward compatible to media imported with earlier versions and fool proof - I can imagine that this isn't so easy to implement.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top