Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Required Specs

Required Specs 3 months ago #182690

I'm new to Light Works and about to purchase a computer; I read the recommended requirements for using the program, I am just wanting to know if my future setup will work.

Potential Specs:

-Intel Quad Core 8th Gen-i7-8550U Processor at 1.8GHz (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
-12GB DDR4 RAM
-1TB HDD Hard Drive

Thanks

Re: Required Specs 3 months ago #182691

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

You seem to be above the recommended specs:

"Intel i7 chipset or faster, fast AMD chipse
3GB RAM or higher
Two high-resolution displays (1920 x1080) or above
PCI Express graphics card (NVIDIA or AMD) with 1GB or higher and support for DirectX 9 (Windows only)
Separate media and system drives (these can be internal or external as long as the the interface is suitably fast
Compatible sound card
200MB Disk space for Lightworks installation"

How much RAM you need will depend if you wish to edit 4k. Although, proxy editing offers advantages in reducing this requirement.

Intel give these recommendations:

"A minimum of 16 GB of RAM for HD is fine, but with 4K or 6K editing, that minimum rises to 32 GB or more. Data must be quickly accessible to both the CPU and RAM so storage speed is crucial."

www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/guides/workstation-adobe-4k-guide.pdf
Last Edit: 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Required Specs 3 months ago #182702

Ok thank you. I don't have a dedicated graphics card, any reason for me to be concerned with that (I think its Intel UHD Graphics 620)? The most I will be cutting up is 720-1080p video, no 4k and above.

Re: Required Specs 3 months ago #182705

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Grafic card is used for display and effects. Intel UHD Graphics 620 should be fine under normal conditions. Lightworks doesn't use the GPU for decoding, so most reported bottlenecks refer to low CPU power and slow hard drives together with demanding media (highly compressed streaming formats).

If you should encounter performance problems when editing, you can create and use internal proxies (files of low resolution and bitrate, used in Lightworks only when editing, not on export).

Personally, I'd recommend purchasing a SSD as system drive which will increase overall system performance remarkably. A second 2-4 TB hard drive with 7200 RPM for media, backups, and archives attached via USB 3.0 makes sense too, not only for Lightworks.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Required Specs 3 months ago #182706

I'm not familiar with internal proxies, I'll have to do some research/studying up on them. I'll purchase a 2 TB external with the computer. Thank you for help.

Re: Required Specs 3 months ago #182713

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
There are more proxy options in the V14.5 beta, which close to release. You can find out more on P138 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation ,
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top