Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence

how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence 1 month, 3 weeks ago #181518

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
there must be a super easy way to do this, but somehow i cant manage to do it: when i import a video that has sound embedded and drag it to the timeline, the sound stays in sync with the video when i move it around. when i have a video and an audio from an external source, can i link them together so they stay together when i drag either the audio or the video? or do i have to make a sync for each of the files and work with the syncs in the timeline?

Re: how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence 1 month, 3 weeks ago #181520

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Hi,

To move segments with separately imported media including all tracks around in the timeline, either use mark and park and cut and paste (which I do) or move a marked section with "Auto track sync" enabled with the mouse (which I do not recommend).

Comparing with Media Composer's segment mode, this has been discussed recently in more detail here.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence 1 month, 3 weeks ago #181522

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
The above doesn't answer your question exactly.

There is no feature to "link" independent clips in the timeline. You have to use prints and syncs instead. Both do not support overlaps to next neighbour, but those have to be redone anyway on both, source and destination, when moving parts of overlapping structures around (e.g. L-cuts/J-cuts).

Re: how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence 1 month, 3 weeks ago #181528

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
thanks hugly, good to know! I m still figuring out an effective workflow for syncing some videos to sound without making everything too messy....

Re: how do i link audio and video together in the timeline / sequence 1 month, 3 weeks ago #181529

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I'd suggest using Syncs as step of ingest/data preparation after import, prior to editing. There are different ways to create Syncs.

With valid T/C on audio and video you can sync all clips per day and camera (one bin per day and camera) all at once using the Synchroniser, very convenient for professional large scale productions (with proper metadata).

Without T/C but significant peaks (e.g. claps), you can either use the Synchroniser to sync by current frames (playhead position) for selected pairs of video/audio. As it stands now this method is practically usable in flexible layout only, because of its player timeline. In both layouts you can sync in a sequence and create a Sync object afterwards, either by using "Align marks" function (which I can't get used to) or, by shifting tracks heavily zoomed-in (available with versions after V14.0 and my favorite). The latter goes like this:

Please note: Due to known issues with V14.0 use the Synchroniser with V14.5.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top