Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images

Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 2 days ago #178469

• Calplus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hi all

Im using LWKS 14 and im using the 3d DVE effect. I zoomed in and rotated the Z-Axis of the image. But instead of a zoomed in and tilted picture I see black bars at the edge. Is there a way to remove the black bar and use the full image?

(The picture is the zoomed in version of the image)

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 2 days ago #178474

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Welcome to the forum.

If the image doesn't fill the full video frame, you will ger black around the edges.

Do you want to put a background colour where the the black areas are?

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 2 days ago #178495

• Calplus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
The photo is in the full video frame.

So what I mean is that you take something, tilt it and zoom in. That's what I did. Thing is, when I zoom in and tilt it, the black bars start to appear. If I don't tilt the image, it won't appear.

Is this a glitch or is there a way to get rid of the black bars so that I can see the whole image WITHOUT the black bars?

and no, i don't want the background colour, I just need the photo to "continue" through instead of stopping and showing black bars.

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 1 day ago #178497

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
It's necessary to zoom-in sufficiently before starting rotation. The problem will be, especially when you add motion in X and Y direction, that the zoom factor needed to hide black background will be so high that the image will look quite blurry.

I'd suggest practicing with only two parameters on 3D DVE to get a feeling for adjustment of keyframes. For example, zoom in to -1.2 on Position.Z and then start rotating.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 1 day ago #178506

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
hugly wrote:
It's necessary to zoom-in sufficiently before starting rotation...

In the timing of the adjustment process correctly, but not in the routing of the effects.
The zoom must be applied to the already rotated image.
This could be changed in the routing, but there is a much simpler solution:
1. Remove the 2D DVE effect
2. Zoom in with the "Position Z" within the 3D DVE effect as @ hugly wrote.

Side note: The user effect "Spin Zoom" has sliders to finely adjust the angle and zoom. In addition, the effect may reflect the edges if desired, with some images allowing lower zoom.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 1 day ago #178541

• Calplus
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Ah, got it now, Thanks!

Would have been easier if the "Position Z" was relabeled as "Zoom" :/

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 1 day ago #178542

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
It isn't labelled zoom, because the 3D DVE is designed around the concept of a virtual camera. It's also why it has both pivot point and position settings. Try experimenting with them and you'll see what I mean.

What would be handy would be an x-y and master scale adjustment as well as the position settings.

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks, 1 day ago #178544

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Actually, something like this would be nice...

Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks ago #178562

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks ago
I was always thinking "Z" stands for "Zoom", but I still haven't found out what these mysterious abbreviations "X" and "Y" stand for?

It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Zoom in but i dont want cropped images 2 weeks ago #178568

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks ago
They aren't abbreviations, and Z doesn't stand for zoom. They are standard axes, defined that way as the three spatial or Cartesian dimensions in physics. Since they are defined axes the letters don't need to mean anything, they by definition just are.

You could be worse off. You could be dealing with the numbers of dimensions used in string theory - last I heard I think that we were up to twelve, although don't quote me on that. One theory proposes dimensions folded up inside others, so consider yourself lucky that you only have to deal with three.

[EDIT] By the way, your diagram above shows another mathematical concept. You'll notice that the axes are described as uppercase XYZ. The lowercase xyz are the values displaced along the XYZ axes. That is a commonly used convention in mathematics. And the uppercase O (not zero) is the origin from which x, y, and z are measured. In Lightworks O is at the top left corner of the screen which means that y must always be negative. However for ease of calculation it is always treated as positive.

The user effects can never directly access the Z axis at all. They must simulate that with additional calculations, even though modern GPUs provide the necessary tools for dealing with three dimensional coordinates.
Last Edit: 2 weeks ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top