Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unwanted Subtitle movement

Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178286

• AlphaMSoulPT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Okay, so I'm quite new to editing and there's something that's been slowing me down in video editing. I often get my videos with moving subtitles ( following someone's head and such ) and for some reason, when I'm adding keyframes, when I nudge the frame forwards, it also moves the subtitle slightly… Some times making it go REALLY off and causing a "crispy" effect in the video because I had to correct its position and it wasn't the exact same thing… Is there a way to go forwards a frame without causing it to move the actual position of the subtitle or do I have to correct it manually every single time ?

Watch from 1:21 to 1:26. That constant moving around ( which ends up looking bad ) was caused because as I nudged the frames forwards, it kept moving the title around… Any tips ?

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178297

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
when I'm adding keyframes, when I nudge the frame forwards, it also moves the subtitle slightly
If you have enabled keyfram animation on the Title tool Position parameter what you're seeing is most likely unintended/spurious keyframes which will need to be removed.

Are you working in the Fixed or Flexible layout?
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178298

• AlphaMSoulPT
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
I've had the problem happening on both. I've switched to Flexible 2 days ago, makes it easier since I can have the audio. The thing is, it ads those keyframes automatically… VERY RARELY, I can actually edit the whole 10 second clip without noticeable movement, but usually titles kinda start crawling elsewhere. Is there a way to prevent those extra keyframes from popping up ?

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178303

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
With keyframe animation enabled each time a title is moved keyframes are added automatically - possibly the easiest solution is to lasso-select a considered bunch of keyframes use the graphs panel '-' to delete the bunch and rebuild them - if you're pretty deep into the edit you can also zoom in on the graphs panel and delete obvious spurious keyframes one by one.

The other issue you may be having is smooth as opposed to linear movement.

A smooth movement with start/end curves can send objects on a bit of a wander about - to change between them go to the 'graphs' view of your animated effect - in windows - hold the shift key and mouse click on the space between two keyframes.

Do you use title movement as an in-frame effect or is it just that when you reposition a title which is superposed to be static it creeps/moves dramatically as per your example??

Keyframes can be very precise - just takes careful work - the attached is a quick example I made in response to a previous keyframe discussion
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178304

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
AlphaMSoulPT wrote:
Is there a way to prevent those extra keyframes from popping up ?

That's most likely a workflow thing.

What you must know: Keyframes on effects are automatically added when switching initially keyframes on (the very first and last keyframe of the segment) and, potentially dangerous and no way to disable, as soon as a value is changed and the playhead isn't exactly (!) over an existing keyframe. Keyframes are not necessarily on frame start (playhead position), in particular after changing duration of an effect.

The only safe way to see what's going on and to avoid unintended keyframes is using Graphs view intensively (including the zoom function) and moving between existing keyframes with next/previous keyframe command (Ctrl+Down/Up arrow) or the symbols on effects panel, instead of regular frame-step commands.

Please note also: Even when working only in one direction, Lightworks doesn't hold values, instead it establishes a diagonal to next keyframe. When working strictly left to right that's the outgoing one. This might also be a source of unintended movement, in particular when moving the effect with the mouse.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178305

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Either attached now or there is a problem with the forum 20MB allowance - the attachment is only 15MB.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178306

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Here is the most recent main thread on current problems with attachments, if you wish reporting: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=39&id=177253&Itemid=81#177253
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Unwanted Subtitle movement 2 weeks, 4 days ago #178313

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
The technique that I use when setting up something like that is to go tho the last frame that I want moving, adjust the position for that, then enable keyframes. Having done that I immediately click on the keyframes + icon.

What that does is give me a stable region from that point to the end. I then go to where I want the move to start and adjust that point. That will automatically add a keyframe. Then I select the X position parameter and click in the box displaying the value and press Ctrl-C to copy it. I jump back to the start and paste that value in the same place, then repeat the process for the Y parameter.

If you do exactly that what you then should have when you look at the graphs is a horizontal line up to the start of your move, a ramp to the end of the move, then another horizontal line to the end of the clip. You can now adjust your intermediate positions to track the move.

When doing this I usually work by dividing the move in half, adjusting the mid point position, then dividing those two in half and adjusting and so on. I very very seldom go any smaller than five frame intervals, because you will get jittering unless you are extremely good at doing this sort of tracking.

So you now have a series of ramps. It's still not very smooth. Go to graphs mode and Ctrl-click on each of those ramps. That will apply curves to each and you won't have any of the overshoot problems that RWAV referred to.

Finally play back your end result. You may still have a little fine tuning to do but it will be extremely minor.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds
Scroll To Top