Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import?

What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #178175

• Aramithius
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I'm trialling Lightworks Free while I get used to video editing, and I'm having an impossible time importing a video file. I'm consistently getting the unable to import current project: check frame-rate and audio sample rate".

However, the program (and the Internet as a whole) seems far too coy to give me a straight answer on what file format, frame rate, resolution etc is actually accepted by the free version. I have all the tools to muck around with the file (EyeFrame, Aura Video Converter, MediaInfo), I just have no clue as to what to convert it to.

The base file is MP4, 23.976 fps, 854 x 480 resolution AVC. Audio sample rate is 126 kbps, 44.1 kHz AAC.
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Aramithius.

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #178176

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

The formats are listed here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=213

The free version generally imports the same formats as the Pro version.

Please try the V14.5 beta. if that fails to import your video, please follow the directions in this sticky, so that users can see the technical details of your video.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #178177

• Aramithius
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response.

No joy with the latest version, and converting to MPEG-2 I-Frame HD still brings up the same error.

MediaInfo output in the spoiler tags below.

:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #178178

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
You seem to have quite a wide frame rate in your video:

Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 90 000.000 FPS

I suspect, since your avatar doesn't have the beta logo, you haven't yet installed the V14.5 RC5 beta, which now supports variable frame rates (except AVI files). It’s close to release, so is pretty stable; however, this is a new feature in this build being beta tested. It can be downloaded from the same page as V14.

If taking this route, ensure that “Apply VFR correction” is selected in the project menu (top left corner) under video, you can link to or transcode during import. If you have a lower powered computer using the Lightworks’ internal proxy editing should reduce the load on your machine.. Details on P138 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

If you do run into an issue (including out of sync audio) with V14.5 RC5 beta, please report it in the appropriate beta forum, where the developers can easily spot it (not here).

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #178179

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
May I add that the message "check frame-rate and audio sample rate" on this footage means most likely that the project frame rate isn't 24 fps (or mixed rates) which would explain the problem with MPEG-2 i-Frame HD (out of Eyeframe converter) as well.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #178195

• Aramithius
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
OK, beta installed and no joy. Can I do anything about evening out the framerate? The clip I'm using is a trailer, so I suspect that things like the text and non-text portions have different framerates.

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #178204

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I'll move this to the V14.5 beta forum, where the developers can spot it. Which OS are you using?

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #178220

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Aramithius wrote:
OK, beta installed and no joy.

Based on the information given, you have only trouble with one file, converted or not, and the error message you see is "check frame-rate and audio sample rate".

Please create a new project and select 24 fps when creating - that will allow mixing material with different frame rates (e.g. 23.976 25, 29.97). Import you original recording via import window ("Local projects") and make sure that "Create Link" is selected as import method (lower left hand side, right of "Import" button).

If import is refused with an error message, please post a screenshot showing the message and, try importing the file converted to MPEG2 I-Frame HD (from Eyeframe Converter).

What do you see?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: What formats are accepted for Lightworks Free import? 4 months, 2 weeks ago #178631

• Aramithius
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Somewhere in the mix of files I've got, I've figured it out. It was a frame-rate issue, which I've now sorted. Thanks for you help and patience!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds
Scroll To Top