Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178761

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
The Arri Alexa camera can simultaneously record ArriRAW and a editing intermediate codec. However, there are different Alexa models, some of which may not have all the options, so there is a number of workflow possibilities and external recoding devices for ArriRAW.

Productions shooting for TV etc are unlikely to shoot ArriRAW, but may record ProRes 4444.
Last Edit: 1 week, 4 days ago by briandrys.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178765

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
And in case you haven't picked up on it, hugly, there's an example of the anamorphic tool working with a test signal in post #178764 to unsqueeze anamorphic 16:9 to Panavision.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178767

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Thanks. May I ask for a download link to the most recent version, please.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178771

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Any of the links should do that now.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178838

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
oh there is a lot to read and learn thank you people for the input!

@ hugly: for a dslr workflow usually people record on an external recorder/ monitor like the atomos ninja and there you have different de-squeeze options for viewing . so you record the squeezed image, but you can see the de squeezed image in the meantime.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178839

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Just for completeness, here is RED.

www.red.com/learn/red-101/anamorphic-lenses

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 4 days ago #178840

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
Very interesting article, thanks briandrys.

Keep us updated, kalimerox.
I'm curious to see some results of "homemade" anamorphic widescreen.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 1 day ago #179126

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
ok here a little update and donĀ“t laugh too loud

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I got a tweaked anamorphic projector lens with a helios 58/2 as the taking lens.

I got the lens from this guy:

No i m looking for a way to mount this beast on a plate, the diameter is about 11,5cm so most of the normal lens mounts dont work. there are some bigger mounts on astronomy sites, they are expensive and not sure if they will be able to hold all that glass.. any suggestion is appreciated!

i had hardly anytime to shoot some testfootage and i m busy with other things for another week now, but afterwards i ll post some footage shot with that.

I m testing the anamorphic tools plugin, and it works great, however i found sometimes in rendering i get some white flickers at the edge of the letterbox. I ll check again if this keeps appearing...

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week, 1 day ago #179129

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
A monster lens - captured in a way that it looks even bigger.

I love these typical anamorphic lens flare but it seems there's no dedicated effect to fake it in Lightworks. My trials with Boris so far so don't look that realistic, but this may change with progress.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week ago #179139

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
kalimerox wrote:
I m testing the anamorphic tools plugin, and it works great, however i found sometimes in rendering i get some white flickers at the edge of the letterbox. I ll check again if this keeps appearing...

I'll go through that section of the code again, but there really isn't much to go wrong in it. It's a pretty standard crop routine that's also used in a lot of other effects on Lightworks.

Or are you referring to the letterboxing that happens when the aspect ratio is corrected? That could be caused by a known bug in the shader language. I'll change the addressing mode that I'm using which will ensure that can't happen.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 week ago #179142

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week ago
Download the effect again. I've posted a link here at AnamorphicFx.zip for convenience, but it's also in the usual places. The flickering should be gone.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 5 days, 16 hours ago #179309

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 5 days, 16 hours ago
@ jwrl thanks! Tested the new AnamorphicFx and renders flawless now!!

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 5 days, 11 hours ago #179311

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 days, 11 hours ago
Great. Unfortunately the problem was something that I already knew about, and I just failed to take it into account in the original version.
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top