Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178069

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Couldn't find it, so I wrote one for you to try out. Let me know how you go, and I'll take any suggestions on board then post it in the various places around the forums. I threw in all the standard aspect ratios that I could think of, but if you have a special need they're easy enough to add.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178071

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Actually, I've already thought of two potential enhancements. The first is a full frame pan-and-scan option, and the second is an extended letterbox effect. Although Lightworks already provides the latter, this would be for those problem times where you encounter a mixture of anamorphic and 1:1 pixel ratios. It would help you maintain a standard look throughout your project.

The problem with a pan-and-scan extension is that we can't directly access the media before Lightworks does whatever it needs to. As a result we're limited in the amount of resizing that we can do before quality visibly suffers.

We'll see.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178099

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
fantastic!! thank you for sharing this so fast.

I m still in setting up my rig for anamorphic and dont have footage from it yet but I will test with the anamorphic sample footage from arri and maybe i find some other squeezed original footage i can try with and will let you know.

It would be great to add the aspect ratios

2.35:1 and 3.5:1

although the latter is quite extreme, i think it comes close to what happens when shooting anamorph on a full frame 16:9 sensor and then you can crop it down to the aspect ratio you need.....

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178127

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
That second is actually super widescreen, and it's the reason that I extended the custom settings to 4:1. OK, can do. Once I get off the scan through the forums I'll get on to it. Should take about 5 minutes to do.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178134

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Sorry for the delay - I got caught up in some forum restructuring.

OK, actually adding those extra ratios took less than five minutes - here's the final effect, which is now called "Anamorphic tools" (AnamorphicFx.fx). It's become a pretty comprehensive toolbox to support anamorphic video. It still automatically pillarboxes or letterboxes, depending on the aspect ratio selected. Here are the twelve preset ratios now available.

• 1.33:1 (SD 4:3)
  • 1.375:1 (Classic academy)
  • 1.5:1 (VistaVision)
  • 1.66:1 (Super 16)
  • 1.78:1 (HD 16:9)
  • 1.85:1 (US widescreen)
  • 1.9:1 (2K)
  • 2.2:1 (70 mm/Todd-AO)
  • 2.35:1 (pre-1970 Cinemascope)
  • 2.39:1 (Panavision)
  • 2.76:1 (Ultra Panavision)
  • 3.5:1 (Ultra widescreen)

There is also a manually adjustable custom setting ranging from 0.5:1 to 4.0:1, and of course an anamorphic bypass if all that you want to do is resize and/or reposition. But there's more. Much more.

It now has the ability to pan and scan - in that mode there is no pillarbox or letterbox. Instead the frame is filled and the pan and scan control is used to pan or tilt within the corrected frame. That control will never overrun the frame boundary, and will always be scaled to work across the full frame range. This ensures that maximum precision for pan and scan positioning is always available.

Secondly, a letterbox function has been added to clean up anything unwanted. This is applied after everything else, and cannot be zoomed or positioned. The same range of preset aspect ratios is provided as in the anamorphic section. Like that part of the effect, if they don't meet the need custom aspect ratios from 1:2 (0.5:1) to 4:1 can be set manually.

Finally, where letterbox or pillarbox boundaries are exceeded the alpha channel will be set to zero. That means that the output of this effect can be blended with background layers using Blend, DVEs and the like.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178162

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
A fantastic effect, just tested quick with the arri anamorphic stock footage and all works great. this is super helpful, even if you dont work in anamorphic but want to have a quick and handy letterboxing ....

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178163

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Glad that it helps.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178182

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I just ordered some anamorphic lens hack.. will show you results when I have a working setup...

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178641

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
a little update from here: I did the first anamorphic quick test and it works super good with the plugin!

and now thinking about how to proceed I thought about briandrys comment again:

" I suspect that this should be in the project menu options, since anamorphic lenses are being used on digital productions such as feature films. "

as I m thinking about how to export anything with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1:

It looks like that i have to export with black bars, as there are no special aspect ratio exports, right?

as most displays and screens are 16:9 this is not a problem, but for example if you put your video into vimeo etc it would be nice not having the black bars in the frame of the video player..

is there any way or format to export to special aspect ratios?

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178642

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
The first question to be answered is which widescreen dimensions are suitable to be displayed on Vimeo (etc?) without black bars?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178656

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
loks to me as if vimeo would just adapt the input aspect ratio. not sure though. here is a short example how to do it in fcp philipbloom.net/blog/how-to-export-and-upload-235-video-to-vimeo/

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178657

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
From what I can read in official Vimeo and Youtube specifications, Vimeo doesn't say much about how formats are padded, and Youtube says explicitly to support only 16:9, anything else is padded with black bars but, what they say might be different from what they do, actually or in the near future.

Lightworks has a long list of export formats under "Export.Image Sequences", including DCI 2K/4K 2.39:1. That might make sense when delivering for DCP projection, but it needs a conversion step after export for delivery to streaming services or local PCs.

The most versatile workflow in terms of whatever aspect ratio without black bars is exporting in standard dimensions (HD/QHD/QHD/, DCI 2K/4K) to high quality intermediates (e.g. Cineform or uncompressed) and to convert and crop/resize to whatever aspect ratio and delivery format needed with third party software (e.g. FFmpeg).

FWIW - Personally, I think Lightworks should support ultra-widescreen TV "21:9" (which is very close to 2.39:1 and a common standard nowadays) with all typical delivery formats.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178658

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
thanks for the infos,

is including DCI 2K/4K 2.39:1 automatically in that aspect ratio?

yes it would be very helpful to export to all kind of aspect ratios, as nowadays all kind of "standards" are being demanded for view on tablets, iphones, ultra-widescreens and it would be great to not be dependend on some external tool to deliver them. is there already a feature request, if not I ll write one?!

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178659

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
One feature request about aspect ratio? No, there are many, the most recent: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=178349&Itemid=81#178349

I don't understand your first question "is including DCI 2K/4K 2.39:1 automatically in that aspect ratio?" Could you explain in more detail please?

Re: anamorphic dslr workflow from shooting to editing 1 year, 3 months ago #178661

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I checked the options and on DCI 2k it doesnt say anything about the aspect ration. does it mean it will crop the edited footage to 2.39:1, even if it s originally 16:9 with bars? sorry i m a bit lost on the ratios
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top