Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version?

Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173378

• StoneyRun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Davinci Resolve has no such limit on their free version. I prefer Lightworks. But, I may have to switch to Resolve's free version if this restriction stays in place much longer.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173379

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

I can't speak for Editshare, but I suspect the reason for the 720p limit is possibly the licensing costs of the codeos.

There is also the requirement for a revenue stream. Resolve earns from a percentage of all the BlackMagic cinema cameras and the high end hardware used by colourists. Also, from sales of the paid version.

Lightworks revenue mainly comes the Pro License, so having 1080p and higher resolutions. plus the choice of export codecs available on the Pro license is a key selling point. There is also revenue from sales of the console, but those are generally sold to higher end professionals, plus the Shuttle Pro.

For these reasons, I suspect it's probably unlikely that the 720p limit will change, at least in the short term.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173580

• StoneyRun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Thanks for the reply Brian. Update: I downloaded Davinci and tried it out. Love the editing interface. However, it kept repeatedly crashing. Installed on a different PC. Same issues. Both running windows 10 64 bit with plenty of horsepower. Did some research and discovered many others having the same issues. Attempted all suggested resolves(pun intended) to no avail. So, for now, I'm back using Lightworks and limited to 720p unless I plop down some $.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by StoneyRun.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173590

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
I gather Resolve is more demanding in computer power than Lightworks.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173601

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
The learning is, price and export resolution are not the only parameters which have to be taken under consideration when it comes to decisions about NLEs.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 1 year, 3 months ago #173603

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
But, to be honest, from my personal experience Blackmagic Resolve V14.5 12.5 is performing well on my really outdated midrange workstation and it works with a lot of different video formats flawlessly, but there are so many, who can say what OP is using.

Astonishing how observations can differ.
Last Edit: 1 year, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #200316

• StoneyRun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Update: I ended up purchasing Davinci. I won't list all the reasons here. I will say that the failure to remove the 720p limitation on the free version dooms Lwks to remaining a niche tool that will struggle to survive against the unlimited free version softwares. I did return here to check and see if that strategy had changed. I always liked the Lwks layout/workflow and felt it suited my needs. But that 720p thing is such a head scratcher I just couldn't get on board. Good luck.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #200319

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
So you bought Davinci but was not prepared to pay for Lightworks. OK.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #200324

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Your logic doesn't make any financial sense.

The difference is that Resolve has a number of revenue streams,including the BM cameras, while Lightworks has basically the Pro licenses, perhaps some of Flow Story revenue and the controllers.

Re: Any plans to remove the 720p max export limit on the free version? 3 weeks, 4 days ago #200325

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 4 days ago
I have licenses of both, Lightworks and Resolve. Resolve is used in many studio around the world as colour grading suite. The reason why I, as an amateur, prefer grading in Lightworks is that I can grade with fullscreen preview on my second computer monitor driven by a regular graphic card. Without Blackmagic output card, that isn't possible with Resolve, fullscreen preview (Ctrl+F) hides the colour controls, no way to configure.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top