• Page:

TOPIC: Workflows - add yours

Workflows - add yours 2 years, 4 months ago #172858

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
Here is my church sermon video workflow:

I created a little drag and drop app with Autoit, that uses ffmbc to do all the functions I used Xmedia Recode for (which uses the ffmpeg library), for my church sermon workflow. The app can rewap the 30PsF video from an m2ts file and a separate wav file into a new mov file. It can also transcode the audio in the m2ts file to PCM and rewrap it and the video to a mov file. It can rewrap just the video without audio to a mov file. And it can transcode just the audio from the m2ts file to a wav file. Quick and easy, creating mov files compatible with the new Detect VFR Media function.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The sermon is captured with 2 similar Canon camcorders (close and wide shot), each fed with audio from the soundboard (though in the end, this audio is discarded). The soundboard also records the audio to a hard drive.

I transfer the 45-55 minute clips from each cam using tsMuxR, which combines the spanned files into one m2ts file for each cam.

Using my Quick Wrap app, I convert the audio from the wide shot m2ts file into a 24bit, 48000 wav file (the same format as the soundboard recored file).

I load the wide cam wav file into Audacity and also load the soundboard wav file into the same session as an additional track. I sync the soundboard track with the cam audio track using the slide tool. Once synced, I mute the cam audio and export to a new 24bit, 48000 wav file that now has the same duration and sync as the original wide shot cam audio. If needed, before exporting, I can reduce any sharp peaks (mic adjusting, clap, loud shout) and/or compress for better clarity.

Using Quick Wrap, I rewrap the video from the wide shot m2ts file with the new, synced soundboard audio, into a mov file. I also rewrap the close shot m2ts video into a mov file without audio.

I import these 2 mov files into my Lightworks project (because these are 30PsF files where the cams record them as interlaces, I set them to Progressive on the import panel). Analysis and import is instantaneous, unlike with the m2ts files that take forever.

In each file's viewer I set the play-head to a matching frame (visual cues) and using the bin command Make>Sync, create a synced sequence using matching frames. Opening this synced sequence, I color correct to match both cams as close as possible and add DVE's if I need to adjust framing. With the close shot on a video track above the wide video track, both in sync, I just remove portions from the top track as desired to "cut to" the wide shot.

There may be shortcuts I could take in this workflow, but so far, it's worked flawlessly for me and has become routine.

Here's a link to my latest video: Holy Week
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by khaver.

Re: Workflows - add yours 2 years, 4 months ago #172899

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
I get media from a consumer Handi Cam @ 1920x1080p 60fps. My standard ffmpeg operations are stored on .txt files.

-In this case, I'll decimate to 30p, convert to DNxHD + wav, assign timecode, and extract a copy of the audio track.
-Edit in Lightworks and export (still in DNxHD).
-Take the footage into Resolve for some light motion stabilization, crop, and scale.
-Work whatever audio I need in Reaper and edit/sync to the video track.
-Export from Reaper and convert to aac with QAAC.
-Transcode and mux for delivery. Usually for YouTube.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Workflows - add yours 2 years, 4 months ago #172925

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
I'm offloading AVCHDs to disk and importing them as links into Lightworks. I'm exporting sequence as h264, or as JPEG images with separate WAV L+R mix to encode them using ffmpeg.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Workflows - add yours 2 years, 4 months ago #172929

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
I shoot 12 bit DNG raw almost exclusively. Sometimes shoot AVCHD on the iPad.
Either way the basic workflow is the same:
1. Offload footage to a disk drive for backup and a raid scratch drive for editing.
2. Import raw footage into Resolve. Do a Davinci YRGB managed color space conversion to REC709 2.4 gamma timeline. Apply corrections and grading on a scene by scene basis.
3. Export to Cineform 10 bit 4:2:2 high quality DI for editing.
4. Import link Cineform footage to Lightworks for editing and finishing since I do mostly simple doc style productions with few effects.
5. Export to H.264 MP4 mostly, or other codecs as needed for delivery.

AVCHD follows a similar workflow. Transcode to Cineform in FS4K or Resolve if color corrections are needed. Edit in Lightworks.

Sample of a recent experiment offloading DNG to Slimraw compressed 10 bit Cineon log.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Workflows - add yours 2 years, 4 months ago #172938

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 4 months ago
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top