Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Audio crackles caused by drivers and hardware - latency check on Linux

Audio crackles caused by drivers and hardware - latency check on Linux 1 year, 4 months ago #172551

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Audio distortion (audible crackles, spikes) on playback on Windows is frequently caused by high latencies in low level system routines such as device drives even when not related to the audio playback itself (e.g. hard drives, graphic card). The phenomenon is pretty complex, I've been fighting it for years on my machine without major success, using ASIO drivers improve things significantly, but with major side effects on audio applications and even then crackles can appear. I've just too much hardware on the system, 2 SSD, 4 internal drives, and 2 active network cards for example.

There are several tools to analyse system latencies. I use LatencyMon from here: www.resplendence.com/main

I don't see those problems on OSX at all, but I assume due to the basic concept, Linux might suffer from similar problems, especially on multipurpose installations, e.g. machines which are not configured and optimized for exclusive use with DAWs.

Is there reliable software comparable to LatencyMon on Linux?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio crackles caused by drivers and hardware - latency check on Linux 1 year, 4 months ago #174012

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
For JACK you may do something like this: wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/jack_latency_tests
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Audio crackles caused by drivers and hardware - latency check on Linux 1 year, 4 months ago #174042

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Thank you for the good information, well understandable.

My question goes one step deeper.

Do you know any software which monitors DCP calls and interrupts together with latency?

The idea is to find out possible causes for dynamic latency change caused by hardware load and in consequence the cause of distortion when monitoring/playing audio. LatencyMon monitors and tracks all interrupts and DCP calls of all drivers. On Windows simply opening an Explorer window (or starting an application, or performing a file search, or a backup in background) can knock down latency in the audio chain in a way that audio playback starts to be distorted.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Audio crackles caused by drivers and hardware - latency check on Linux 1 year, 4 months ago #174046

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Can't say about Linux, or more precisely - for JACK and PulseAudio. Really.

The thing seems to be simple but solved other way - get a RT kernel and JACK instead of "normal" kernel with PulseAudio. Moreover - buy decent hardware instead of using cheap, slow and lo-quality builtin chips / consumer cards. This should guarantee good sound, low latency and no audio artifacts without necessity to fighting interrupts or other low-level calls.
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top