Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Text not showing up

Text not showing up 3 months, 3 weeks ago #168761

• Kurai_Sen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hey guys, I started using Lightworks recently. I used to use Sony Vegas but after my computer went through a repair I decided to try and use a free video editing software instead, since I would need to pay and it cost a hell lot more than it did before.

I'm working on something that requires me to edit text separately from the rest of the video, but Lightworks only allows us to add text on top of a video.

What I'm doing to work around it is that I added a black screen, and then added a title on top of it. After editing the title however I wanted, I unfolded it and then edited it to my liking in the Edit menu. I also added a Blend mode on Screen. Then I went back and added another title to the black screen, unfolded it and edited it with a blend on screen.

For some reason, the title stopped showing up under the second text layer. It showed up under the FX1, but when it ran under FX2, the FX3 title didn't show at all, despite both tracks having the exact same settings.

Can anyone help me? I need this for a school project. If my method was incorrect, can you tell me how I can edit text apart from the video?

For reference, in Vegas, you could add a separate text effect with the text on a black screen. You could then layer the text effects so that each layer showed on the other one. I've attached a small text video I did in Vegas Pro 15 as an example. (Yes, I downloaded the trial version just to make the text)
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Kurai_Sen. Reason: Mistakenly said that I was using a cracked ver of Vegas when I wasn't

Re: Text not showing up 3 months, 3 weeks ago #168778

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Could you do a screen grab of your routing and show us that please? This is almost certainly a routing issue.

Kurai_Sen wrote:
I'm working on something that requires me to edit text separately from the rest of the video, but Lightworks only allows us to add text on top of a video.

Could you make that a little clearer please? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Kurai_Sen wrote:
What I'm doing to work around it is that I added a black screen, and then added a title on top of it. After editing the title however I wanted, I unfolded it and then edited it to my liking in the Edit menu. I also added a Blend mode on Screen. Then I went back and added another title to the black screen, unfolded it and edited it with a blend on screen.

This sounds like an incredibly roundabout way of doing what you want to do. I don't understand why you are creating the title then unfolding it, then editing it and finally blending it. Mark where you want your title to start, park where you want it to end, then apply the title effect. You should get exactly what you need. Or have I misunderstood?

You should then be able to repeat the process for titles 2 and 3.

And if for some reason you need to change the title, just open the effects settings and change it.

And by the way, you're being awfully courageous in posting this.

Kurai_Sen wrote:
Hey guys, I started using Lightworks recently. I used to use Sony Vegas (a cracked version)

I know that Sony disapprove of cracks, and I can understand why. Don't try and justify the theft here, but you could get a knock on the door any day now.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Text not showing up 3 months, 3 weeks ago #168817

• Kurai_Sen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks a lot for the info. I tried it, and its showing up now!

And yeah, it was a mistake. It wasn't a cracked version, but I'm extremely new to editing and I thought the version I was using was cracked when it wasn't. It was my uncle's version, and he'd paid for it a long time ago. But now instead of paying for it all over again (which would cost me 37 grand and I'm still a student), I thought I could try some good free software. I already use GIMP in place of Photoshop and it serves me well, even better, so I assumed the same was for video editing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top