Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: archiving parts for future episodes

archiving parts for future episodes 3 weeks ago #168390

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
I have finished the first in a series of multi-part videos.
Like your TV series: episodes S01E01.....E10; S02E01....E10 I think it is going to be 10 sets of 12 videos.

The common part of all of them is the intro and closing credits, various subtitles and effects.

What would be the best way to save these so they are reusable in each new episode?
Thanks
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 3 weeks ago #168391

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Hi,

One way, direct access: There was a user working on a TV show keeping everything together in Lightworks (and AVID) - 15.000 logs in one project - but I don't know if that's the best way.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=126156&Itemid=81#126192

How about creating a bin containing all intros and closing credits and exporting it to a Lightworks archive including all media? Should be importable in any new project with compatible frame rate. Unfortunately you won't be able to consolidate the footage, currently.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 6 days ago #168416

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
When I do television series I usually have two common projects. One is for stock footage - establishers and the like - and the other is for things like openers, closers and breakers. Depending on the style of the series they may of course be rolled into a single project, or the stock may be split into two or more depending on complexity.

Each individual episode has its own project and shares the content of those master projects. With the openers/closers it's just a matter of sharing the bin that they're in. With stock it's a matter of sharing the individual clips.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 6 days ago #168428

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
jwrl wrote:
When I do television series I usually have two common projects. One is for stock footage - establishers and the like - and the other is for things like openers, closers and breakers. Depending on the style of the series they may of course be rolled into a single project, or the stock may be split into two or more depending on complexity.

Each individual episode has its own project and shares the content of those master projects. With the openers/closers it's just a matter of sharing the bin that they're in. With stock it's a matter of sharing the individual clips.

See if I have this right Anything that is common to all the episodes would go in one project. Info, exits, sound, etc., then each episode is another project.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 6 days ago #168435

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
That's it.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 6 days ago #168536

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
jwrl wrote:
That's it.

Many Thanks.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168637

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
When you finish a project do you keep the original Video with the project or is stored somewhere else?

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168647

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Just a side note: That's where consolidating material starts to become helpful..

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168648

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
hugly wrote:
Just a side note: That's where consolidating material starts to become helpful..

Please explain.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168649

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
There's a missing (maybe dropped years ago) function by the name of "Consolidate" which would cut the material in order to keep only used pieces (including some handles). Now you will have to make sure that any material used in the intros/outros has to be accessible in full length. Shouldn't make any problem when enough drive space is available, though. This can be done either by leaving the used material where it's now (or relinking it on another location after moving), or by archiving and restoring the project with the intros/outros including all media on demand. The latter is what I would do, because it keeps things together.

As I said, only a side note.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 4 days ago #168673

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Jpaulbiss wrote:
When you finish a project do you keep the original Video with the project or is stored somewhere else?

I keep everything archived together - original media, projects, graphics, sound files, everything. I also make two copies and store them in separate places. It used to be easier when we had consolidate and it's what I still use with Avid.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by jwrl.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 4 days ago #168676

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
jwrl wrote:
Jpaulbiss wrote:

I keep everything archived together - original media, projects, graphics, sound files, everything. I also make two copies and store them in separate places. It used to be easier when we had consolidate and it's what I still use with Avid.

When I first started editing, about a half year before I tried Lightworks, I used FCpro 7. I think it had a consolidate function.

I am in the process of getting everything related to the project together. Common archive to the projects in one folder, specific archive to an episode in another. This project has a work flow like a fire drill in a mental hospital.

This project wasn't planned it started out with a friend of my daughter wanting one short clip for her Youtube & Facebook page and it grew wild from there. It sure looks like it. That one clip grew to one clip for 12 different themes and now there is talk of 10 or so episodes of each theme and a book to accompany it.

So much for retirement

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 4 days ago #168682

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
We've all been caught like that at one time or another! Trying to get it all into one sensible tight package for archive is like herding cats.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 4 days ago #168688

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
jwrl wrote:
We've all been caught like that at one time or another! Trying to get it all into one sensible tight package for archive is like herding cats.

The older the cat is the harder it is to herd it.

Re: archiving parts for future episodes 2 weeks, 4 days ago #168690

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
I could have said "is like trying to get the Genie back in the bottle". I don't know whether the age of the Genie would affect things - unless it was Genie with the light brown hair.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.59 seconds
Scroll To Top