Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance!

Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168315

• audioapps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Hi, I've just recently gained an interest in working with video, I don't think my demands are that high (yet). I've been working with still images, panning and zooming, and layering. My current card is not up to the task. I built the rig 4 or 5 years ago to excel at audio, and it's fine for that.

So lightworks recommends Nvidia, which is fine by me, but I still find the choices overwhelming. I'm willing to budget in the midrange. $300 or so USD? Added wrinkle, it appears the bitcoin craze has tightened the market for cards in that range, I'm finding a lot of "out of stock" messages coming back.

So my main questions would be what would the main parameters be that I need to look at? Strictly VRAM?
I see a low budget card ZOTAC GeForce GT 730 Zone Edition 2GB that I can get for very little. About $64 USD.
Other 2GB cards cost can vary wildly from that.

I also saw that in testing a machine higher shading was optimal. Mine's pitiful.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168327

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Hello and welcome!

First, with Lightworks the major load is on CPU. File I/O, decoding, encoding, user interface and moving data to and from GPU is managed by CPU. GPU is used for preview and effects. CPU, RAM, GPU, main bus and mass storage work together and build overall performance and, media format used plays a significant role (resolution and codec). The system must be balanced.

Personally I use a new NVidia GTX 1050 TI with 4GB of RAM together with an old i7 2600 with 16GB and I'm quite happy with it - even with some demanding effects on the timeline.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168329

• audioapps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Further : Either I ran out of characters above or I perpetrated operator error while blunderingly typing in a thumb nail size screen on my Iphone...

Local to me I've found a new GTX 1050 for over twice the price of the GT 730. Both 2Gb Vram cards.
I've found a used Quaddro 4000 for about $90 USD, but with research I found 50% of the shading on that card is disabled? Apparently makes it more tailored to dac/cam design?
Help! I'm so confused!

I have searched the forum, that's how I picked the shading/testing concept.
I just want to maximize value and utility. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, even if it it just to tell me I'm overthinking this whole deal...

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168333

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Be careful Quadro 4000 can mean a lot of quite different equipment.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168335

• audioapps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Thanks, hugly! I'm sure you can search my system specs, but for ease :
i7 2.67 Ghz
Asus P6T
12 GB ram
ATI Radeon HD4300/4500

So it's safe to say my video card is the weak link?
I've seen the NVidia GTX 1050 TI in my explorations, nice to have a solid recommendation.
The Quaddro 4000 could possibly be a good choice? (As it's available at what appears to be a decent price,used)

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168340

• audioapps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Ok, I'll stay away from the used Quadro.
On a search for NVidia GTX 1050 Ti I find :
(prices in Canadian dollars)

EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti SC gaming $414
Zotac Geforce GTX 1050 Ti $408
ASUS Geforce GTX 1050 Ti ROG STRIX $319
ASUS Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Phoenix fan edition $289

Why is there such a bewildering amount of choices?

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168344

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
No idea, I've the ASUS ROG Strix 4GB and payed 178 Euro including taxes in Germany one year ago. With current exchange rate that would be 220 USD. The same thing cost today on Amazon here 198 Euro (245 USD). www.amazon.de/GeForce-GTX1050TI-O4G-Grafikkarte-Speicher-Displayport/dp/B01M3TR08L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517444936&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+rog+gtx+1050

Trump?

Edit: I misunderstood your question. Nvidia provides the chipset. NVidia itself and some OEM's produce cards with differing features. If that can explain the price differences in any case, I don't know.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168346

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
last one was "680" old gt - moded to quadro 4000/"agp".
working fulltime in 3d, yes, it did the job.
not worth for 2d video.
the card has 10-bit output ... but ...
s

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168347

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
_any_ lwk fx is still realtime with an 1030, tested some days ago ...
s

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168348

• audioapps
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Aha! :^)
I'm beginning to see the light.
Thanks very much, hugly. As I searched the forum I saw you continually providing assistance to individuals.
That's a rather nice thing, so I wish for you rather nice instant karma!

Cheers!

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168349

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
but...
some higher priced quadros are unable to handle the >2 streams.
"old" k2200, 2d - very nice (in encoding, they did not set the limit)
s.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by lghtwrks.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 3 weeks, 2 days ago #168350

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
think it
do it
cut it
like it
show it

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168762

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
I believe that 1050 GPUs support 4GB -- if you go that route see if you can get a 4GB model rather than 2 GB model. I don't think the cost difference is much.

The 1050 (or 1050Ti) are great options. My current laptop has an mx150 with 2GB... and I can do a lot with it. I can even color grade 8K Redcode on it without an eGPU as long as I keep the Resolve timeline to 2K beacuse of the 2GB display memory size. The 1050 has more computing resources than my mx150 does, even with the same amount of memory.

AFAIK Lightworks uses OpenGL rather than OpenCL/CUDA, so the memory capacity isn't as much of a restriction as it is for Resolve, but it's nice to have more if possible.

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168772

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
I still use an old GTX 970 G1 (4G VRAM) and it is more than adequate even with Resolve. They are cheap second hand but don't go below Maxwell architecture as older cards use too much power.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Video card assistance, many apologies in advance! 2 weeks, 5 days ago #168781

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
If you're buying into Quadro, then yes, they're good stable cards. However there are a range of models that all sport the 4000 suffix. The Quadro FX 4000 (256 Mbyte GDDR3), 4000 (2 Gbyte DDR5), K4000 (3 Gbyte DDR5), M4000 (8 Gbyte DDR5) and the P4000 (8 Gbyte DDR5) are all entirely different cards, with different architecture and performance. You really need to do your homework first. I certainly wouldn't be buying a plain 4000 at this end of its life.

I have a Kepler (K2200) card at the moment, but I'm looking around. Buying now, I wouldn't consider anything less than a Maxwell (M series) architecture card, and would prefer a Pascal card (P series).

This year with the ongoing development of the Volta architecture and the release of the widely-rumoured Ampere architecture, things are inevitably going to hot up in this market. If you can hold off, you might find an M4000 or a P4000 in your price range as people upgrade to be first with the latest. Either of those should be more than able to meet Lightworks' needs.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 5 days ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top