Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks project files location

Lightworks project files location 5 months, 2 weeks ago #165531

• RJone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
On a W10p machine, I see Lightworks puts its materials in C:\Users\Public\Lightworks\Project\

I'd really rather have it create files on my portable hard drive F:\ in a folder alongside the source files. This preference is for purposes of space, backing up and portability. Is there some way to tell Lightworks where I want files? Or is there a reason it lacks this flexibility?

Re: Lightworks project files location 5 months, 2 weeks ago #165532

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Only the pro version allows you to designate project locations other than the default.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Lightworks project files location 5 months, 2 weeks ago #165539

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 2 weeks ago
In "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects" is only part of your project. (the structures, etc.).
There are still missing "media" ( Imported with the options "Copy Local", "Transcode" and some audio files that Lightworks needed to convert to .wav files)
Also missing: Links to your original media (Imported with the option "Create Link")
Also missing: Effects, audio mix templates, your custom keyboard shortcuts, macros, etc.

Where Lightworks stores the imported media (or the link to your originals), you can choose from the import settings. In the project settings you can add these locations. Note, however, that Lightworks must have full and reliable access to it. Imprudence can lead to "offline" media.

Projekt-Backups are best done directly with Lightworks (better often than failing a damaged project). Note the different media options.
Occasionally you should back up the folders "Effect Templates" and "Preferences" and "Audio Mixes" manually. (I like to manually backup the entire folder "C: \ Users \ Public \ Documents \ Lightworks.")
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 5 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks project files location 5 months, 1 week ago #166395

• RJone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
I haven't found anything in import settings that would allow specifying any location for anything. Are the links etc. all somewhere in the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\ folder? That's easily backed up and restored to its original location.

At this point, I'm really test trying Lightworks, so don't really care too much about storage or export options. But, should I decide to get the pro license, would I be able to successfully move projects to a different location?

Re: Lightworks project files location 5 months, 1 week ago #166403

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Yes that's possible with the pro version, but I'd recommend watching this video to get basic information about media management in Lightworks. A "Project" in Lightworks lingo describes a set of metadata which refer to source material on different locations including predefined Lightworks Media Locations.

Lightworks Media Locations:

It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks project files location 5 months, 1 week ago #166404

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
RJone wrote:
I haven't found anything in import settings that would allow specifying any location for anything.

In the project settings is a standard media folder.
This location has the advantage that Lightworks already has the necessary access rights to it.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
You can also add media locations as a free user.
You may also need to grant access rights to it using your operating system.

If you have added several locations:
In which of these locations you want to import new media or link files, you can set them there (mouse position, right-click, etc.):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
Scroll To Top