Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: does Lightworks handle???

does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165004

• RJone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Lightworks is obviously a very powerful editor, but before I climb its learning curve, I'm hoping an expert or two can guide me about solving two particular problems.

First, I'm working on a fairly large project with two source formats; namely, interviews shot on Betacam and transferred to ProRes, 29.97 4:3 aspect ratio and 16 mm silent film (that is 16 fps) that the so call professional transfer house transferred to 16:9 aspect ratio at 23.976. Frequently they also show part of the sprocket holes, so all this material has to be cropped and re-speeded. The film will often be the cut away from the interview, so my question is can Lightworks do the resizing? My preference is to work in 4:3, but 16:9 with letterboxing is ok. I just can't have the sprocket holes or the screen size jumping around all the time.

My second question is simpler. I see how to trim the in and out of a shot on the timeline. In my few minutes with the program, however, I haven't found a way to break a shot into two pieces on the time line. That's as in fitting the narration to the visuals in the 16mm film, or in shorting a film sequence to fit the narrative.

I'll greatly appreciate any insight those of you who are already familiar with Lightworks can share. I don't object to using the Pro license, but I rather not spend the time learning the program in addition to the money if there isn't a good solution to this rather unfortunate mess of formats.

Thanks!!!

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165012

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

Note that as a free user you're restricted to 16:9 720P.

You can use the DVE to resize images, this this found in effects.

There are a number of methods that allow you to break up shots. You don't even need to put them into the timeline, you can create subclips in the bins with one or two sections of the source clip. If you wish to split them in the timeline, you can use the mark and park and delete then use "f" to insert in another location or you can use an empty cut and drag them apart.

Mark and park is the traditional Lightworks method and you have a number of editing options with it.

Further information can be found in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165022

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
I haven't found a way to break a shot into two pieces on the time line. That's as in fitting the narration to the visuals in the 16mm film

In the Sequence - park on the position where the inserted material is to be placed.
On a source viewer mark/park the section of material to be inserted

Execute the 'Insert' command. (explore the other commands Replace, Remove, Delete

That's the basis of it - the insert will take place for every selected tack in the edit.
or in shorting a film sequence to fit the narrative
That is just basic LW trimming.

As briandrys suggested watch the editing and working with sound tutorials as a starting point.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165072

• BTrim
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
But there still isn't an answer to his question quoted above. How do you cut a clip on the timeline? He, and I, don't want to insert a new bit there, we want a simple cut in the clip.

Also, what is a 'Empty Cut'? When I search the manual, there is no reference to an empty cut, yet it's a key on the keyboard.

Thanks
Bob

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165075

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
BTrim wrote:
... How do you cut a clip on the timeline? ... a 'Empty Cut'? ...

"c" on the keyboard.
An overview of the standard keyboard assignment can be found in the User Guide on pages 236 & 237.
More keyboard commands and possibilities of assignment to keys can be found starting on page 232 and following.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165076

• BTrim
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Actually 'x' and 'c' cuts a clip on the timeline.
But what is an 'empty cut'? I did find what you referenced but no where in the manual does it say ' an Empty Cut' does...........

Kinda odd.

Bob

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165077

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
"c" is an "empty cut"
There are some ways to cut in the timeline, but "empty cut" ensures that no frame is removed.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165078

• pfbr6a
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
"what is an 'empty cut'"

An empty cut is just a point on a source-clip within an edit that is marked as a cut but which hasn't had anything added or removed yet. It has various uses - for example it is a place where you can drag one side or other to leave a black gap, or as a place to jump to when you later want to insert something else.

Rjone: That'll allow you to split a shot as you describe, but more generally Lightworks has a *lot* of ways of replacing, inserting and deleting sections of an edit which will cover whatever you could possibly want.

The underlying metaphor is heavily based on film rather than video (unlike other NLEs), and it will pay to become familiar with the basic operations first - you should then be able to do any editing you need.

One of the earliest features cut on LW was shot on a mix of 35mm, 16mm, Super-8 and video, at different frame-rates - your project should be fine.
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by pfbr6a.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165080

• BTrim
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
"it will pay to become familiar with the basic operations first"

That is rather terse. The basic premise of this thread is 'how do I make a cut on a clip in the timeline'. And your last post finally told us what the 'empty cut' really is, because you can't "become familiar with the basic operations" when they are not even in the manual. It seems it was way back in 2010 per this forum post: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=6&id=2303&Itemid=81

And, historically, a Cut is just that. You cut the film apart. It's the same in NLEs. But not apparently in LW, where it's this non-metaphorical 'empty cut'. It might be true in Europe or elsewhere in the world, but here in the states, and in all other NLEs...it's a 'CUT'.

I apologize for being so intense in this post. And I don't want to start a flame war. But I and the original poster are both learning this program. To offer such an dig inside of an otherwise good response, just gets my hairs up.

Bob

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165084

• pfbr6a
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
"your last post finally told us..."

Actually, that was my first post....

And was in no way meant as a dig: I just didn't want to go into great length cos this is a forum and (imperfect though they may be) the manuals and tutorials do describe how to do what you need, and it isn't quite like other NLEs (in fact, for traditional story-telling editing it is better .

What you have just described as a cut is *precisely* what LW does, exactly as is done in film. Cuts in LW are used to open up holes for insertion, to lift out sections leaving black or to remove sections and join the remainder together. Those are the basic ops LW does that are worth reading about and playing with until you have a feel for them.

An empty cut is just the equivalent of cutting a piece of film and then immediately taping it together again. The film plays as before, but the cut is still there waiting to be used. There are good reasons to make those kinds of placeholder cuts, but everyday editing can be done without them.

The basic editing paradigm of LW is to go to a place, mark it, go to another place, and to perform an operation on the section in-between.

For example, if you are building an edit (now for some reason called a sequence), you would add, insert or replace sections from source-clips using the various ops. Later, you might change the cuts on the edit itself by trimming, moving, sliding and so on, and not usually on all the tracks at once. Again, though the principles are simple, there are a lot of possible variations and LW covers pretty much all of them, so inevitably there is a learning-curve.

My recommendation is to start with a few clips, learn how to assembly-edit them into an edit, then start messing with the cut-points, keeping video and audio together. After that you'll have a feel for the detailed stuff: but honestly, to help much more than this I would have to write a manual, and it wouldn't be as clear as what already exists.
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by pfbr6a.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165206

• RJone
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks for this discussion. The letter 'c' is the key answer to my question about making cuts in the middle of clips. I did hunt around quite a while before asking trying to find an instruction for that. The film I'm using has a number of splices (and some in camera edit shutter flares), so it is easier to put it on the timeline, crop and color correct and then chop out the few bad frames. That's just one instance of where it's useful.

On most learning curves, I've found it's the little "obvious" things that are the stumbling blocks. As in, fade in video -- couldn't find anything for that. Seems you have to set the duration and tell it from, to or center before you tell it to dissolve...

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165220

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Empty cut tends not to used for removing the bad frames in Lightworks, even though it does allow you to work that way. Empty cut can be like using razor in other NLEs, although the latter is more an audio editing tool used in the world of 1/4" tape, rather than a film editing one.

In Lightworks empty cut tends to be used for jobs other than basic editing.

Mark and parking the section you wish to delete/remove or select is the traditional method. You can then either use "x" to delete the bad frames or "z" to remove them or click on icons under the sequence screen. Unfortnately, the quick start V14 is lacking in detail in this, the old video tutorials were better, these show the flexible layout, but much also applies to the fixed layout (V14 has the option of 2 layouts).

And, historically, a Cut is just that. You cut the film apart. It's the same in NLEs. But not apparently in LW, where it's this non-metaphorical 'empty cut'. It might be true in Europe or elsewhere in the world, but here in the states, and in all other NLEs...it's a 'CUT'.

I suspect empty cut may derive from making a cut (as film editors might use the term)with zero frames i.e you might make a cut to shorten a scene, but this case you're not cutting out any frames, so the length remains the same.

A fade is a dissolve to/from black, Lightworks doesn't have a preset fade transition.
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165223

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
When people come looking for the Razor tool to make a cut on the timeline such is common in other NLE's, I tell them to Set In and Set Out points on the same frame then apply the Remove or X keyboard shortcut. Three separate key strokes so I them Macro mapped to a single Razor key on my X-Keys 64 Jog Shuttle device. Comes in handy after too much time on Resolve. HaHa!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165231

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Why not just use the empty cut command, Craig? Pressing just the "c" key instead of "i", "o", "x" has to be simpler. In any case, pressing "i" then "x" would also have to be simpler, and would work the same way as your present method.

Re: does Lightworks handle??? 7 months, 3 weeks ago #165233

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks, just 'i' and 'x' keys work here but I have 'c' mapped as 'Clear All Edit points'
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, RAID SSD, RAID HDD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 12.5 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit IPS Reference Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9000B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top