Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project?

How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #157478

• jameshcox
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Everyone.

I've got some GoPro footage at 1440p, and the output will be 1080p. When I import it to my project I specify "full zoom" in the project settings for "displaying wide as narrow" and "displaying narrow as wide."

This is usually what I want because it gives me a 1920 x 1080 "strip" taken from the middle of the 1440p frame.

So my question is, how can I move this strip up and down so that I get the framing I want? If my camera is slightly off, I might want the top 1080 of the frame, or the bottom 1080. At the moment I cant see how to do this.

I could recode it in Handbrake, but would prefer to do it in LWKS if that's possible.
Thanks for your help.
James

Re: How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #157484

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
In the current version there is no way to reframe the video using the project settings. You can use the full frame settings so there will be black pillars on each side then use the 2D DVE effect to zoom and pan how you want. But this will cause loss of resolution because Lightworks resizes your video to the project setting before applying effects.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #157492

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
khaver wrote:
But this will cause loss of resolution because Lightworks resizes your video to the project setting before applying effects.

Yes, unfortunately.
Lightworks UHD should have the same aspect ratio as 1080p.
If you were to export to UHD, then the 2D DVE effect could access a higher resolution.

If you need 1080p, then you can reimport the UHD file and without effect as 1080p export, or an external converter use.

Otherwise still the possibility with an external program the file before the import to 1080p 16/9 to scale.

Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #157505

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
James, check out the free version of Fusion. You should be able to do exactly what you need there. And as a Pro user you should be able to launch it from within Lightworks. Just don't export from Lightworks to Fusion in this case, or you'll be stuck with the resolution that Lightworks gives it.

Re: How to get the "letterbox" I want from 1440p footage on a 1080p project? 4 months, 3 weeks ago #157549

• jameshcox
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 3 weeks ago
OK, thanks everyone. I'll give Fusion free a try, and at least I now know I can't do it directly in LWKS.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top